PDA

View Full Version : Poll on Weaning

Mia
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
? :popcorn

inesperada
10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Abbott is 22 months, we have not yet weaned. I believe in mutual weaning, when the decision is between the mother and the child - not before the child is ready, but mother only does what she is comfortable with. Does that make sense?

milkmommy
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
We mark three years today, I believe in setting age appropiate limits based on family and childs needs and also believe in child self weaning. In simple form I believe in parent dirrected child led weaning.

Deanna

expatmom
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
There was no box that fit our situation so I couldn't vote. Both of my kids finished breastfeeding before the age of 2. It was a mutual end to a beautiful breastfeeding relationship! I wouldn't say that either I or my child "led" the weaning process. Breastfeeding came to a natural end when both of us were ready.

inesperada
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
parent dirrected child led weaning

That's what I was trying to say. :tu

flowermama
10-26-2005, 03:54 PM
:nak Just wanted to post what it says in the statement of beliefs. :)

Breastfeeding into toddlerhood--and for as long as mother and child desire--continues to provide health and emotional benefits and serves to strengthen the foundation of trust laid in infancy.

Wonder Woman
10-26-2005, 04:07 PM
:nak Just wanted to post what it says in the statement of beliefs. :)

Breastfeeding into toddlerhood--and for as long as mother and child desire--continues to provide health and emotional benefits and serves to strengthen the foundation of trust laid in infancy.

:amen

Dana Joy
10-26-2005, 04:11 PM
2 kiddos were weaned by me at age 1.
this last guy is 13 months and we will be
parent dirrected child led weaning i hope

tree_hugger
10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
That's a huge poll! :)

I voted:

It depends on the family situation.

Ben self weaned at 3 years.

Sam self weaned at 10 months.

mamatogands
10-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I voted that my child self-weaned between 2 and 3 years, but I'd say it was mutual weaning. :)

Benjaminswife
10-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I believe in as long as the mom is still ok with it and the child still wants to...then keep going. Now this is after the first few months because I know for myself I wanted to quit in the beginning. But I had my goal of hitting a year before I would think of weaning. Now I have passed that and I will keep going until either I no long feel good about it, he doesn't want it anymore or both.

Joanne
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
None of the options fit my situation. Here's a link to a related blog entry on the topic:

http://morejo.blog-city.com/too_old_to_nurse.htm

Aisling
10-26-2005, 07:32 PM
:popcorn

MarynMunchkins
10-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Love the blog article, Joanne! :tu

I weaned Doug at 8 months due to misinformation from my OB. :(

Ana self-weaned at 21 months.

Colin will be 2 in 2 weeks, and is still nursing several times a day. I'd like to be done within 6 months, but we'll see. :shrug

Dana Joy
10-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Love the blog article, Joanne! :tu

I :heart it too-
(now to get dh on board- he originally said 2- now that he's 1- he says 3)

Mia
10-27-2005, 08:39 PM
I remember in the first few weeks thinking, "oh my gosh! I'll NEVER make it a year!" (this was my goal.) We're passed 2, now, and I feel sad thinking that it will end someday. Do you mamas who have been through weaning recall "sadness" or "mourning" for the end of nursing with THAT child?

DogwoodMama
10-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Dd is almost 2, no plans for weaning... though I'm thinking between 3-4 would be nice. But honestly, it's not an issue at the moment. I'm looking forward to tandem nursing because I had OAL (over active let-down) and over-supply with dd, so I'm hopeful she'll help with that so I won't be pumping or expressing extra milk all the time. :O (Or maybe it won't be as bad this time!)

We'll see how it goes... I'm not setting any "deadlines." I do feel sadness at times that our nursing relationship is changing, but I know it's normal.

lenswyf
10-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Dd self-weaned at ~23 months of age. It was her decision, her timing, her doing.

When ds turned four, dh decided it was time for him to wean, and while I would have been happy to nurse him longer, it was less of an issue for me when he was four. Dh took charge of the weaning process -- he was very gentle, very slow and very reasonable about it, and it was relatively painless for all.