PDA

View Full Version : Putting my cat to sleep....

arymanth
10-26-2005, 10:26 AM
I can't believe it... after 6 years of trying to "cure" my cat of his habit of peeing all over my house, DH decided he had had enough. He said we should take the cat to a shelter.... of course, I pretty much knew in my heart that they would not take him, but I tried it anyway. They informed me that he was "unadoptable" and that he would be put to sleep.... for a $45.00 fee. Well, I brought him home, and DH decided to call the vet and find out how much it would cost to put him to sleep there. Only $11.00. So he made the appointment for tomorrow morning.

Max is such a good cat in every other way.... but no matter what I do, he won't stop peeing on things. My carpets are ruined, my house reeks of cat urine, and he pees on my children's clothes if they get left on the floor and they stink, too! (gee, kids leaving clothes on the floor... does that ever happen? :rolleyes) I've used every kind of enzyme solution, cleaned my carpets numerous times, put a litter box over the spots he habitually goes to (he goes NEXT to the box!) and tried putting his food there (the dogs ate it!). WHAT ELSE CAN I DO???

I don't want to put my cat to sleep.... it's breaking my heart, and my kids are devastated. Max just sits next to me and purrs and is so trusting and sweet. If only I could explain to him what I need.... but I can't. Every day I have to throw blankets or clothes in the wash because he peed on them. The kids have to pick up the poop on the floor next to the cat box.... and of course, the smell doesn't go away. They won't even sleep in their bedroom anymore because that's the room the cat pees in the most! Now I have a baby coming.... and I just can't take it anymore!!!

I keep telling myself this is the right decision, but every time I look at my cat I start crying again. :cry He's only 7 years old. He loves me, he thinks I'm his mommy. He sleeps next to me at night. Then I smell the cat urine. I remember the load of laundry I have to run through the washer again because the smell didn't come out the first time. This happens EVERY DAY.

I know there is no easy answer, but I feel like what I am going to do will break my heart. :bheart

I

mamatogands
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
:hug2 what a hard place to be in

boonpnutsmom
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
:hug will be :pray some miracle will present itself.

Sanveann
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I have been there, too ... I was blessed that I have a very understanding mom and dad who offered to take my kitty for me. (And she does much better there than she did with me.)

What about medication? I know a couple of people who have found that really helpful.

Also, this site has tons of resources: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/litterboxhelp.html

arymanth
10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks so much for your prayers and the page of resources!!! I decided to give him another chance.... there is a new litter on the market that is "guaranteed to get them to use the litterbox or your money back".... so I'm going to give that a shot. (It's expensive, but if it works, it will be worth it!!!!) I'm going to clean the carpets one more time with an enzyme cleaner and try a few other tricks I found on that site that I hadn't tried yet. Please pray that this works!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!

believer
10-27-2005, 07:35 PM
:hug2 :hugheart I had that problem with one of my favorite cats too. I even paid $ to have a cat psychologist or something like that come to our house to tell us what to do about it. Some of the things included: after cleaning with the enzyme stuff - put aluminum foil in areas that the cat pees habitually - they may pee on the foil and will not like the sound of the pee hitting the foil or something like that. You can use a blacklight to find cat pee on things. I don't think that any of that helped and one day he got out of the house accidentally and disappeared (we lived on a busy street :sad2)
Anyway, good luck with your cat. :grouphug

domesticzookeeper
10-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I assume he has, but I figured I'd ask anyway: has he been cleared for all possible medical issues?

Good luck with everything :hug

arymanth
10-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I assume he has, but I figured I'd ask anyway: has he been cleared for all possible medical issues?

Yes, we had him thoroughly checked out several months ago to rule out any physical causes. The vet says it has to be a behavioral problem. I'm hoping we can solve it!