PDA

View Full Version : Question about having more kids.....

caranamomma
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
So many people I know and respect feel like 2 is a great number of children to have. They feel incredibly overwhelmed with the 2 they have, and don't want anymore. Part of that might be because they have their kids enrolled in the best schools, doing ALL of the sports and activities, playing musical instruments, going to tutors, etc, etc. My sister being one of them, although she has 4, she believes in exposing your kids to the "arts" and having them enrolled in as many activities as possible, all at once.

I, on the other hand, think I would go absolutely insane doing that. I have no problem letting my 3 yo watch TV, and so far, the only thing she is enrolled in is Awana and preschool and I don't plan on letting my kids be enrolled in all the sports and activities while they're in grade school simply because I don't want my life to revolve around driving them there and back constantly. I have interests that don't include my children, I don't spend a lot of time down on the floor playing with my 3 yo (although my 10 month old still isn't crawling and I'm convinced it's because I've barely put him down since his birth), I still need some sort of independance and am known to tell my very chatty 3 yo to go play because she's bugging me, several times a day in fact. I also have been known to let her live on dry cereal and milk if that's what she wants because it's easy and I don't want to fight with her about food.

So my question is...do you have to be a 100% involved and down-on-the-floor with your kids type of mom to have many children? I mean, I realize anyone can have alot of kids, but to be a "good" mom, do you HAVE to be that involved? The first year after my children are born, I just cherish every second and barely put them down, but with my now 3 yo dd, I really encourage her to play independantly since she would suck up every spare second I had if I let her, simply because she is so social and needy in that way.

I just can't imagine not ever being pregnant again or having another baby, but wonder if it's still "okay" that I have more children, even if I'm not a down on the floor playing with my kids constantly type of mom and once they get to a certain age, I encourage them to "go play" because they're "bugging me" :lol :O....I hope I'm making sense.

Countrymama
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
:hug :shrug You sound like me sometimes....I wonder the same things!

Jillian
10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
You sound like a real mom. :tu Not a wanna be super mom! I have four kids, we homeschool and I just do the best I can. Some days we have more "floor time" than others. Some days we ditch the activities we are involved in, cause no one wants to go. For sanity and financial reasons, we generally do one activity per child. Sometimes there are overlaps, sometimes we take a break and don't have any scheduled activities. Often I tell one or more of my kids I need a break or some quiet or whatever.

I have four kids...and still want more! :mrgreen