PDA

View Full Version : So when will DD start putting herself to sleep?

AttachedMamma
10-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Our DD recently turned 5 and we still co-sleep and have no plans to change any of that right now b/c we've had too many other transitions this past year. She sleeps like a rock (never thought I'd see the day, so for you mammas who have have tots that wake up 5+ times a night, they will eventually sleep through the night!) We love being a co-sleeping family...DD is our only child.

I don't want to rush things, I know everything happens in due time, but DH and I are wondering if anyone has an ideas of how to get DD to sleep that won't require 2 hrs of work every night. We read stories and then I lie down w/her, turn off the lights and we have music. She wants to talk and talk. I feel bad...I can understand that she probably is downloading her day. But, this goes on for over an hour and before you know it, it's after 9pm. I need to get some things done in the evening and it would be nice for DH and I to have some time alone (maybe we could actually create a sibling, LOL!).

Perhaps I could give her 5 or 10 mins of asking her if she'd like to talk about something before I turn the lights out. Honestly, it's just so amazing that she sleeps so well through the night b/c she has so much energy and is constantly talking! She's like the Everready bunny who keeps on going. :lol (Oh, yes she is spirited.)

She's not fond of leaving a night light on and having us check up on her. She wants a body next to her.

Any thoughts?

cindi

milkmommy
10-23-2005, 10:57 PM
DO you want to change things? :shrug I still lay with my own dd and we just kinda shoot the breeze so to speak for about 10-15 mintues at bedtime. I don't have to I could just say go to bed and she'd be fine but that time is special for us and I have no desire to change it. IF it seems too much setting a time limit is a good idea.

Deanna

AttachedMamma
10-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I do enjoy listening to her, but after an hour, it becomes impractical and then I don't have time for bible study or other things I need to get done. Of course, I would miss it if she didn't want me to stay w/her at all. :heart I just wish it wouldn't take up the whole evening. :yawn

Mother Duck
10-26-2005, 04:24 AM
We have a 5 yo who is like that. Sometimes we wish she had an off switch :giggle She'd talk all night and all the next day too if we let her. We usually let her talk for a while (maybe 10-15 minutes) then tell her it's time for sleeping. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! Having a predictable routine has helped but we still have nights when dh (who puts her to bed) doesn't reapear for an hour or so! :LOL

Thia
10-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't know your family circumstances, but is she getting enough one on one contact during the day? I worry about that with my own dd b/c I work full time. Dh is with her, but she needs her mamma too, so I really try to give her some focus time as soon as I am home from work. If your dd isn't getting enough during the day, she may be trying to claim it when she can.
Please understand, I am not saying you are a bad parent or anything, just a thought. Hope you aren't upset.

Aerynne
10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
I was wondering the same thing as Thia.

One thing I've heard is to leave for intermittent periods of time. "I have to do something real quick. I'll be back in 5 minutes." Then lengthen the times you're gone until she is asleep before you get back (that's the idea anyway). I'm not sure if I described that very well, but I hope it makes sense.

toymama
10-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I was just talking to my mom about this the other night because my 3 year old is like that. He talks alot anyway and at night he goes on and on and on. I do like laying down with him while he goes to sleep it's just that after he goes to sleep I would like to get back up and get other things down. If it takes him an hour or more to fall asleep then I usually end up falling asleep with him. I have tried the "I'll be right back" and it did work once. (But then I felt bad because I knew he feel asleep waiting on me to come back :O) Guess, I don't have any advice. Hope you find something that works.