PDA

View Full Version : cribs?

gratefulmama
10-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Do some of you co sleeping mamas even own a crib? I have a very nice one, with a good matress. It holds blankets and toys. My 2 year old likes to climb in and pretend he is going to sleep so we can play "wake up Jeff!" (Wiggles thing) Sometimes I feel like I should put my dd in there when she naps but then when she is actually napping I don't want to risk waking her up.

So instead I think about how much $$ I could get for it and what I would spend the money on :giggle (I'd start with a twin mattress on the floorfor napping as she is getting more mobile.) It just seems wierd to think of having babies in the house and no crib. I am having some kind of mental block about this.

milkmommy
10-22-2005, 12:35 AM
We don't cosleep anymore but I did for about two years and yes we owned and used a crib we side cared and used it for naps and start of bedtime once she was mobile MIL took it back when we moved :rolleyes If were here we wont get another their is no room but hopefully we will be somepace where we can. I likes having one personally actually I want an amby bed and I believe that will fit in our room.

Deanna

Heather Micaela
10-22-2005, 02:24 AM
well we used it a some with ds and I can probaby count w/ one hand how many times its was used for sleeping w/ dd.

what we used it for was to put dd in after a bathe while I gathered her jammies. Or for when I was tending to Ds (then 2ish) for a sec and didn't want her crawlign away.

It is in storage. I would love top get rid of it but dh wont let me. :shrig

Katydid
10-22-2005, 05:53 AM
We had one given to us (second hand) and I think I layed ds in it once and not while he was sleeping. Mostly it was just a really nice cat bed ;) We got rid of it and put in a full sized bed that guests sleep on and will eventually be the kids' bed once they outgrow co-sleeping. This was a much better solution for us and I don't miss the crib at all :shrug We still have a pack n play with bassinet insert that we used with ds and will probably use with the next one when we need a safe place to set the baby for a few minutes.

Havilah
10-22-2005, 06:15 AM
We didn't use ours until just recently (James is 2). When James started to lying so he was parallel to the head of the bed we sidecarred the crib to give all of us more room. He loves "his bed" and sleeps there until the early morning hours :) I reach into the crib and rub his back a couple of times a night to keep him settled. We were tempted to sell it when he was younger, and I'm glad we didn''t.

Dana Joy
10-22-2005, 07:40 AM
by this baby we never put the crib together but do use the crib matress on the floor next to our matress. it gives us a little more space ;)

DogwoodMama
10-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Our crib is side-carred & dd will occassionally sleep in it (or at least part-way ;))

Mother of Sons
10-22-2005, 08:47 AM
We aren't setting ours up this time. It takes up space and we never used it last time, just put stuff in it all the time. I would like to sell ours too but I keep thinking "what if I sell it and then I need it" I don't know. We have a pack n play and I think that will be enough. We'll see.

Senta
10-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I had a crib bought for me as a gift that got no use as a crib. Luckily though it's one that changes into a toddler bed so it's being used now sidecarred with our bed and christel LOVES having her -own- space. So overall I'm really glad we have it, though for a long time it was just used for storage. If a friend hadn't realized we didnt have one and thought we needed one we would have just done without it though. You know how people can be when they realize that you dont have one though.. :eek lol

Radosny Matka
10-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I used it with my 1st as we didn't cosleep. It is now in our basement collecting dust. ;) I dunno if it will get used again or not, but I'm keeping it just in case.

gratefulmama
10-23-2005, 03:38 PM
yeah, we side carred with ds because we had a queen sized bed and it then I didn't feel like I was going to fall out of the bed!! I am thinking that a twin mattress on the foor might make more sense for naps and dd can cosleep with us until she is ready to sleep on that at night, or with her brother in his full sized bed. I like our crib, it is a really good one. I don't know if we will have more babies and my thought is we have used hardly used it so why would we start later? It does convert to a toddler but I always nurse dd to sleep.

Wholly Mama
10-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I tried using our crib a few times with ds #1, tried a few times less with ds #2 (2, 3?). I ended up selling it while pg with #3 as we were really getting tired of moving it! #3 is 14 mo and we've been fine without it! I say sell it and use the money in a more useful manner!

Bonnie
11-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Our crib is currently standing against the wall - in pieces - in our guest room because I got tired off walking around it in the nursery. Our two-year-old sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor, and DD 1 year sleeps with us. Wish Wish Wish we had spent the money on getting a King mattress earlier for us rather than on a crib!!!

Soliloquy
11-01-2005, 08:53 PM
My parents bought us a crib when I was PG (we picked it out, though) and I always assumed I would use it. Instead, it was a very luxurious cat bed and a place to dump clean laundry until I had time to put it away.

We've loaned it to some friends who are expecting. The only reason we haven't given it away or sold it is because it converts to a toddler bed and then to a double bed, so I figure we will use it eventually--but not as a crib.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not buy a crib. Every once in awhile I think about all the money that was spent on that crib--the crib itself, the mattress, the sheets, the bed skirt, etc. (all things for which I registered) and I wish it had been better spent. I'd say sell it or give it to someone who will use it.

herbalwriter
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
I use a crib (a gift from cousins) side-carred; I would just co-sleep, but I am so afraid he'll fall off. He is so mobile at night!

MagnoliaMommy
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
We have a crib that is pushed up against our bed. Dd doesn't sleep in it at all. It is used as a heavy duty bed rail and as a place for dd to safely play while I shower. Oh, and it is also used to store laundry baskets and toys. :giggle

IslandMama
11-07-2005, 11:02 AM
We have one in our room that I use for a changing table, and to store our diapering supplies... DD will go in it occasionally to look at the mobile, but has never slept in there! :grin

doubleblessings
11-07-2005, 11:11 AM
We have two. We used one as a side car for a while, but now we have a full and twin mattress on the floor. It is in "their" room, and sometimes I sleep in our (DH and I's) room until they wake up the first time. The cribs sometimes hold clean clothes that haven't been folded yet. We also have a pack and play that is the "toy chest"

jarofclay
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
When I was pregnant with our first we bought a nice crib that we totally thought we would use. :shrug I used a cradle in our room for the first few months and then picked up a Dr Sears book, and the rest is history. She has been sleeping with us since, and our next child never even went in it. I forgot we even had it! I am going to have to dig that out and give it to our crisis pregnancy center. Thanks for the reminder!

milkmommy
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay soo when I get preggies again I should come here to GCM for a crib? :shifty :giggle at least you know it wouldn't be abused :O

Deanna

herbalwriter
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
We have a crib that is pushed up against our bed. Dd doesn't sleep in it at all. It is used as a heavy duty bed rail and as a place for dd to safely play while I shower.

This is :ot, but I wish my ds would entertain himself while I took a shower! :mrgreen

MagnoliaMommy
11-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Leah,
It works out nice because the crib is right beside the bathroom door (in our master bedroom) so I can stick my head out and talk to dd while I am showering. She can see my reflection in the mirror, so that is pretty neat. :) Oh and my showers are super quick...she isn't entertained for long. :giggle

BornFreeBaby
11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
My gorgeous italian sleigh crib has been unused for almost a year now... I desperately want to sell it, but it was a gift from the in-laws, and you know how that goes. It does turn into toddler bed, so we are going to keep it for now.
We plan to get the co-sleeper bed for the new baby, since the crib is too big to fit in our room at this point. :hissyfit
I wish I would've found dr. sears before I got pregnant!

Dana Joy
11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
My gorgeous italian sleigh crib has been unused for almost a year now... I desperately want to sell it, but it was a gift from the in-laws, and you know how that goes. It does turn into toddler bed, so we are going to keep it for now.
We plan to get the co-sleeper bed for the new baby, since the crib is too big to fit in our room at this point. :hissyfit
I wish I would've found dr. sears before I got pregnant!

i did not like my arms reach co sleeper- and gave it away a couple of months ago :hissyfit i would have so much loved to have given it to someone i know
Okay soo when I get preggies again I should come here to GCM for a crib? :shifty :giggle at least you know it wouldn't be abused :O

Deanna

yup- we have one in the garage- but i haven't given it away cause it gives me an icky feeling that it may be misused- i would love to give it away on gcm

Roma
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
my mom gave me my borther's crib and DH is so glad we didn't buy one because it was a clothes hanger. well DS did play in it when i took a shower sometimes but we aren't even going to bother with one next time.