PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate

TreeHugginMama
10-15-2005, 11:20 AM
My one dachshund got into our Halloween candy and ate 2 bags of fun size M&Ms this morning. I was never so scared for the little thing. She only weighs 6 pounds. I called the vet and he said she should be fine and that she'll probably get a belly ache. I think that was an understatement. LOL She sure liked it though. After I put it up where she couldn't find it I found her in the room sniffing around for it.

Funny thing is my other dachshund is a Chocolate and Tan. His name is Hershey, I would think he would be the chocolate lover. :giggle

Sanveann
10-15-2005, 02:51 PM
I looked into this once, because Macy ate part of a Godiva chocolate. (I was SO mad at her, LOL!) It turns out that a dog her size -- just six pounds -- would have to eat a full ounce of unsweetened chocolate for it to be lethal, and a LOT more of milk chocolate, which has less cocoa in it. I still try to keep it out of reach, though, for sure!

domesticzookeeper
10-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Glad she's okay! :phew

My rabbits got into some Halloween chocolate last year :eek Fortunately, they didn't eat enough to cause any problems, but they just about gave me a heart attack :doh

believer
10-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Our golden retriever at a half a pan of brownies recently. I called the vet and he said since she is large and the chocolate is not too concentrated in brownies, that she would be ok, and she was. :)

TreeHugginMama
10-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Our golden retriever at a half a pan of brownies recently. I called the vet and he said since she is large and the chocolate is not too concentrated in brownies, that she would be ok, and she was. :)

:ptl

boonpnutsmom
10-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I have a blind friend, her Guides got into straight baking chocolate one day without her realizing until it was too late. We had to call a vet at midnight her time. They made her induce vomitting in the one dog with peroxide, but the other dog has a seizure condition so she had to have him in the vet hospital for a couple of days. She was never so scared in her entire life. Not only is she blind and couldn't see what was going on, but to hear her poor dogs being so sick. Eventually they were both okay, but she has now made her house a completely chocolate free house.

TreeHugginMama
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh WOW That is scary. I'm so glad they are ok.