PDA

View Full Version : What to grow in the fall/winter?

larsonwoman
10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I am wanting to start a fall winter vegetable garden, but I am unsure of what will grow here. I live in zone 11. San Diego, CA. I've seen it zoned at 9 when the highest is 10 and I've seen it zoned at 11 when the highest is 11. So I am unsure of zoning also. What should I do to start out my garden? I'm a beginner, but love fresh vegetables!!!!

LadyBird
10-12-2005, 05:28 AM
me too! I need to learn what I can put in the garden now. I am in Kansas, and we are getting into the fall season. (pretty cold) I don't have a clue yet as to what won't die lol.

Mama Calidad
10-12-2005, 07:13 AM
We just planted our "winter" garden on Monday. :tu We're in zone 9B. We planted carrots, green onions, kohlrabi, peas and green beans.

I went to try and look up your zone and :jawdrop no wonder you're not sure! That's a lot of zones in one area! The official map is here...you might be able to pinpoint yourself:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sw1.html

larsonwoman
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Okay, I looked on the site and we are zone 11. I thought so, but wasn't sure. Any ideas on what I can plant?

Mama Calidad
10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Okay, I looked on the site and we are zone 11. I thought so, but wasn't sure. Any ideas on what I can plant?

I'd imagine most things that northerners would plant in early spring or fall. The one that I can think of that I'm pretty sure you shouldn't even bother trying is lettuce. :no2

All of the seeds we planted last week have sprouted. :clap God sent an abundant rain just at the exact right time! :praise

poleidopy
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Not sure, I live in SC. But when I saw your post title "What can I grow in the winter?" My first thought was "leg hair!!!" :O :giggle yeah, I'm a cold, cold dork. :P :rolleyes

Mama Calidad
10-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Not sure, I live in SC. But when I saw your post title "What can I grow in the winter?" My first thought was "leg hair!!!" :O :giggle yeah, I'm a cold, cold dork. :P :rolleyes

:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears