PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Goldfish through winter in a pond?

lovinmama
10-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I too have a goldfish question. I bought 16 goldfish from Walmart and for fifteen straight days one by one they died off. Well I have one left and he's survived for awhile now but he's outside in our pond. Should I bring him in for the winter or will he be ok outside? I'm afraid the pond is going to freeze over. A friend of mine said they go dormant during the winter and I shouldn't worry about it, he'll be fine. Any ideas? I know this sounds silly over some goldfish but nonetheless.... :D

milkmommy
10-08-2005, 11:06 PM
he should be fine outside even if the pond freezes :eek

Deanna

Desert Rose
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM
We keep goldfish in our pond and the only thing that kills them is the ducks. We don't even hardly feed them. :shifty I think it is amazingly hard to kill a goldfish. :giggle

Sanveann
10-09-2005, 10:46 AM
I did some reading online, and it says that as long as your pond is 18 inches deep, your fish should be OK. If you Google "goldfish pond winter," you will find tons of info :)

lovinmama
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Thank you! You'd think it wouldn't be hard to kill a goldfish, but we've done our share! :giggle
Thanks for the internet suggestion Sanveann, that really helped. Our pond is at least two feet deep.