PDA

View Full Version : Co-Sleeping... how do you make it work?

Loaves Of Bread
10-08-2005, 05:31 PM
My dd is 9 months old and is just approaching that age where she fights sleep and cries at bedtime. I would LOVE for her to sleep in the grown-up bed with me, but now whenever I try she either still cries b/c she knows it is bedtime and she will not be "tricked" OR she starts literally climbing the wall next to the bed! I'm cringing as I write this b/c I wanted to be a mother who DOESN'T do this... but if I just put her in her own bed and let her cry then she is asleep in 10 minutes. I work full-time as well as being a full-time mother... and I simply cannot stay up all night and wait for her to decide to go to sleep.

What am I doing wrong? I'm desperate for suggestions... so anyone who can help, thanks so much! :)

abbiroads
10-08-2005, 06:46 PM
ds is older than you dc, but I often turn of the lights and close the door. I am available to comfort, but if he just wants to climb around the room till he gets sleepy, that's what he does. It's getting a little diffrent now, b/c I am uncomfertable when he climbs on me, but that is still basically what we do.

raisa
10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
My DS is 11 mo. and we either rock him to sleep, or I nurse him and lie down next to him. If/when he wakes up (this always means sitting up and singing "glocky glarky gloo!") I physically lay him back down and hold him in my arms. If he screams or struggles, we rock him. 9 mo was a hard age for us because he was learning lots of new physical skills plus everything distracted him. It is much easier now.

Loaves Of Bread
10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
:) Thanks to both of you for the advice!