PDA

View Full Version : How old to answer the phone?

Winkie
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
At what age do you allow your children to answer the telephone?

milkmommy
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
My two year old does it if were not quick enough :giggle
hewoo?? Oh nooo woody blue I go night night I have a woo there you go it a bear wow bye..
Is a typical conversation here..

DEanna

~yogamom~
10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
My dsd is 10 and she doesn't answer the phone unless it is someone she knows on the caller ID. We have an answering machine, so if she knows them on the machine then she can pick up as well. Otherwise, I don't see the point of her answering for salespeople, random people, whatever.

godsgracegiven
10-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Still not letting our dc answer the phone but I do let them call their cousins. My nephew is eight and my sister is teaching him how to answer the phone now. :) It is always sweet when he answers. :) :heart

Mama Calidad
10-06-2005, 06:42 AM
DD is 4 and she answers our phone about 75% of the time. She's fast. :dash The list of people calling our house is basically: 1) me calling home or 2) my parents on occasion. We don't get telemarketers, although I wouldn't care if she answered a telemarketing call if there was one. What's she going to do...annoy them? :laughtears

JessicaTX
10-06-2005, 07:07 AM
All my kids race for the phone, unless I'm in the bathroom, then they'll let it ring off the hook :doh

boonpnutsmom
10-06-2005, 11:46 AM
The only rule we have.... If you are going to answer the phone you need to be able to take a message. If you feel you can't take a message, please let it go to the machine.

AttachedMamma
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
The only rule we have.... If you are going to answer the phone you need to be able to take a message. If you feel you can't take a message, please let it go to the machine.

That sounds like a good rule of thumb to me! :tu

Our DD will be 5yo soon and she has excellent language skills, but I think it's too young for answering the telephone. I think partly in terms of safety (we don't have caller id) and taking an accurate message--as in writing down a message. Also, while us moms may think it sounds cute for our DC to answer the phone, I can tell you that most people (except grandparents) will feel irritated by this.

I figure if I'm too busy to answer the phone, the machine can get it. That's what it's for. :grin

cindi

cannuke
10-31-2005, 07:06 AM
From my POV as the person to whom the DC is speaking, I don't really care how old the child is, so long as they identify themselves when they pick up and can go and get mom or dad when I ask. I also don't mind having conversations with little guys, so long as I'm not the only one talking! :giggle I don't quite get how the most talkative toddler can all of a sudden clam up as soon as the phone is on his/her ear!

My niece and my SIL (mother/daughter) sound very similar now and it makes me nuts that they don't identify themselves when picking up. :banghead