PDA

View Full Version : cat bath

MomTo7
10-04-2005, 08:35 AM
How do you flea bath a cat without you or the cat getting hurt? :think

Piper2
10-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I had a cat for 11 years who we gave numerous flea baths to, and my best answer is, you can't...unless you get them to do it at the vet's. ;)

The way we used to do it involved 2 buckets on the deck, lots of warm water, and the entire family in their oldest clothes. :giggle

MomTo7
10-04-2005, 09:09 AM
:bfsmiley :nak i was afraid of that :doh

Amber
10-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I would reccomend skipping the flea bath and just getting Advantage or Frontline from your vet. They will kill the fleas within 24hrs and keep working for a month. You will also want to treat the environment to kill any fleas that are living there.

amstermarie
10-04-2005, 10:18 AM
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... i hate giving cats bath

MomTo7
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Well the issue is this...

We have 2 indoor cats that went outdoors when the twins were born. They thought it would be a good idea to pee on anything and everything that smelled like a baby....INCLUDING THE BABIES!

So we use frontline but they still have fleas...dead ones, alive ones and probably eggs too. Not alot of living ones but they do have them. I need to bring them back in now that dh has stopped :mad over the peeing thing as it is going to be cold soon. I need all the fleas gone before the come in.

So I got brave and bathed one in flea shampoo. It took 30 minutes to get them off him and it wasn't fun at all. So please done think I am the worst person alive when I tell you that the second one was much easier.....I took black electrical tape and taped her paws together. I had my oldest son love on her and give her kitty treats and let me tell you cat owners an important bit of info.....ELECTRICAL TAPE IS GOOD!

She wasn't nearly as upset by it all as he was and it took 8-10 minutes. Get the tape and don't call animal control on me for abuse :O

boonpnutsmom
10-04-2005, 11:15 AM
We just did this this past weekend and I am here to tell you I am still alive.....

CAT #1 our big Tom, Alani, he weighs close to 15 lbs......

Water in the washtub BEFORE you begin, all soap and towels within reach. DH washing cat, WIFE blocking any and all exits from the laundry room. FACE cat away from the door so that he can't see out. Went fairly well. You just need to make sure to dry cat REALLY well or they go flying off the washing machine and send water EVERYWHERE

CAT #2 our Big Queen, Kitty... she weighs 8lbs, this I know because she went to the vet last week and is why ALL of them were getting baths...

AFTER dragging her out from under whatever piece of furniture she has managed to get herself under....DO NOT fill tun with her as when she gets upset her bowels let loose....WASH VERY QUICKLY. This requires both DH and I to do this is the little corner of our laundry room. Was interesting to say the least. But we got her washed....ONCE again MAKE Sure cat is sufficently dry before letting go....it is like a cartoon animation, everything is moving in slow motion.

CAT #3 - our newest Queen, Noel..... she is almost a year old....about 7lbs

She was by far the hardest, which was quite a shock because we bathed her a great deal as a kitten. She needed that extra help until she learned to keep herself clean. She growled, hissed and bit DH a couple time. I finally had to hold her nouth shut while he washed her.

Of course all the time we are talking to them. Alani has a very low gutteral meow he uses when he is upset. Kitty has the siren effect and Noel, well, she was just insane. They all went off to sulk for the rest of the day, but then came at when it was time for bed and went to sleep with us like nothing. Tonight we need to put their Revolution on and give Kitty her meds, this should be fun...NOT.

GOOD luck, but yes it did involve old clothing and lots of towels.