PDA

View Full Version : just rambling...our 3 month old seems older than our 15 month old

Beauty4Ashes
10-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I just need to ramble a little about something pleasant…Dh was saying that Danny (our younger son, 3 months) just looked so grown up today in his black pants and sweat shirt that says “we’re going to the zoo”. Bashar, he says though, acts like he is younger, he is more clingy and cries more. (For me, I don’t mind, they are both still babies!)

I feel sometimes like I poured all my hopes and childish dreams into Bashar. I used to talk to him a lot before he was born, tell him all that I was seeing around me, and in general I was so excited about his birth because it had taken us a long time to conceive.

Danny, I feel, I poured my fears and worries into him. My Danny boy was a surprise blessing; I didn’t know about him until I was almost in the third trimester. It was an easier pregnancy physically, but emotionally, I was a wreck. People were saying that I would have to wean our son. Dh was going to be starting a new specialty around the time that Danny would be born, longer hours, how on earth would I manage with two boys. I felt guilty about Bashar not being in the limelight for very long before he would have a new brother. Then there was the fear that I would not be able to love the new baby as much as I loved Bashar. When things were rough with Bashar, I felt angry about being pregnant. Now we joke about how I was only pregnant with Danny for 3 months, but at the time, it was really hard. Of course now that Danny is here, I love him so much, from the moment that he was born. He is so soothing. He has this look on his little face that seems to say “everything is going to be okay”. He only cries if he is hungry or overstimulated and wants to sleep. I worry sometimes that his needs might not be met since he rarely cries, so I make sure to hold him more, sleep with him next to me all night long (rather than put him in the bassinet next to our bed), and hug and kiss him all the more.

I am not sure what was the purpose of this post, just rambling, I guess…
Tammy

lumpofclay
10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
((hugs))

It sounds like you have some intense feelings about having two boys so close together.

Have you considered reading _Siblings Without Rivalry_? I bet it would be very helpful for you, especially as your boys get older.

It sounds like Danny was really cute today. We have a 9 month old, and I just bought him a pair of khakis and a plaid button-up shirt. I can't wait to see him in it! :heart

MarynMunchkins
10-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Different kids have different personalities. :hug I know that many of my friends with high need children find that their hn seem even needier when they are dealing with a new low need sibling. It's easy to feel resentful when it is the oldest children that take up the most time. :(

I didn't really struggle with that when mine were babies (because they were ALL high need! :giggle), but I do know with Doug's BPD. Colin is honestly the easiest of my 3, and he's younger by 3 years. :/ It's a challenge to juggle all of them with feeling like you're short-changing one or resenting another.

Assigning positive intent really, really helps. :)

Beauty4Ashes
10-05-2005, 05:34 AM
I am relieved now because I am learning to love both of them the same for their differences. I also thank God for the wonderful ladies that I am meeting who say that both of our boys are good because of their smiles and happiness. They overlooked when our older one was acting like a normal toddler (making messes, getting into things); to them, he is always good because he is gentle and sweet. It doesn't matter if he cries or acts up a little, he is still the sweet smiley boy. Not saying that they love him only when he is good, but they show grace to him when he acts up. i am learning to fall in love with him again. I can think of times when I just waited for nap time and bedtime so that I could have some peace and quiet. Now I can honestly say that I look forward to our older one waking up and greeting him with a big hug...
Tammy