PDA

View Full Version : buying fabric...

bostonsmama
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
where do you buy your fabric? im wanting some "trendy" so-to-say fabric, i'll need lots of it, in different prints, along the lines of michael miller, amy butler, alexander henry, etc. etc. so--- where do YOU shop? ;)

kris10s
10-02-2005, 08:40 PM
online. no one locally carries it.

I just google and froogle for what I want...

bostonsmama
10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
yeah, i just found a site where all MM fabric is $6.90/yd. i thought that was pretty good.

inesperada
10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Hancock. It's pretty well the only place I'll go, unless I really can't find something or want some $1 fabric from wal-mart for experimenting.

kris10s
10-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Oh, Elise, I am curious, what have you been making with all this cute fabric? :grin

bostonsmama
10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
haha, lots of things! everything has a matching chenille to go with it (well, just about everything) blankets, pillows, little tuffets (stools) and im working on these new burpies and boutique-y outfits. i'll have to post some pics. :)

boonpnutsmom
10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Are these things that you are selling??? I have a new niece and nephew that need Christmas presents.

righteous mama
10-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm working on some tie dyed fabric, so if you are looking for something in particular...let me know. Right now I'm dying some fat quarters (literally right now...my counter top looks like Easter!)...but I wouldn't mind dying larger amounts of fabric. Right now I'm doing a cotton sheeting and flannel. I'm looking into more fabrics, though, and wouldn't mind experimenting.

And I get most of my other fabrics from Joann's or a little quilt shop near us called Material Possessions. Look around for smaller shops and they should have more specialized fabrics.

bostonsmama
10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
marcella---how large of a one piece could you dye? 2 yards too much? 45" i know thats a lot!! can you do 1 yd of 45"??

(yes, im starting to sell them, just for fun though---and spending money! we do one big 'craft show' a year, and this year we had so much left that we're going to put it in a local huge craft mall....the show went really well, we just made so much stuff!! my mil is great, she had so much cute stuff too! we're doing it together)

righteous mama
10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I can do two yards. I have done a few dresses for Lyssa with gathered skirts...so there has to be about two yards easy in the whole dress. ;)

boonpnutsmom
10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
The Dresses came out beautifully of course, and there was no uneveness (is that a word) in the color.

Elise I would love to see some pictures of what you are doing.

TheSweetLife
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
www.reprodepot.com (http://www.reprodepot.com) has some great fabrics - lots of vintage stuff

just found www.fabricattic.com (http://www.fabricattic.com) and they have great prices on Amy Butler fabrics and seem to have a large selection of other stuff too.

OpalsMom
10-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I love the fabric at keepsakequilting.com

For frivolous fabrics, syfabrics.com is hard to beat. No returns, so be sure what you want, and the supply of cottons is very random. But they are cheap, cheap, cheap, and the fabric is what they say it is. I made DD's preschool class a pile of sequined skirts out of one of their sequin assortments.

righteous mama
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Just a note: I dyed some fat quarters last night for my friends quilt and they have turned out gorgeous. Good color, but not one consistent color...almost marbeled. I did flannel last night and will work on the cotton sheeting this weekend. If anyone wants to pre-order (in other words I'd dye whatever portion you need specifically for you) let me know and what color you need. :tu

bostonsmama
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Just a note: I dyed some fat quarters last night for my friends quilt and they have turned out gorgeous. Good color, but not one consistent color...almost marbeled. I did flannel last night and will work on the cotton sheeting this weekend. If anyone wants to pre-order (in other words I'd dye whatever portion you need specifically for you) let me know and what color you need. :tu

can we see your flannel? ;)

righteous mama
10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Yes. :-) Let me iron it and trim it up and I'll post pictures.

inesperada
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
:popcorn

righteous mama
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I have a few listed at http://www.righteousthreads.net/fatquarters.htm There are some in the dryer right now and one soaking, so I'll post those when I can and bump this thread.

Marielle
10-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I usually buy from other moms on my sewing board that have access to great garment districts and then mostly online. You may want to check out the market board on www.sewingmamas.com