PDA

View Full Version : Hamster had a stroke - looking for advice *update-he's gone*

domesticzookeeper
09-30-2005, 07:10 AM
My two year-old Syrian, Napster, had a stroke two days ago. He's been weak, shaky, but not entirely without spunk (he fastidiously rearranged the toilet paper I put into his nest to keep him warm). He's also been going to the bathroom on himself, and so I've had to clean him and put a tiny amount of Neosporin on because that area seems to be a little irritated.

Have you ever had a hamster that suffered from a stroke? Did they recover? How did you take care of them afterward?

I'm a little worried about him getting to his food dish, and that he's even eating at all. Someone recommended giving him a little baby food (chicken). Thoughts?

Appreciate any advice you can give!

MamaJayne
09-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Let me ask my mom, the small animal and exotics vet, and get back to you. :)

domesticzookeeper
09-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks!

domesticzookeeper
09-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Just as a bit more background info...

I don't think it was a fall, because his cage is entirely one level, and his wheel is partially enclosed (Wodent Wheel (http://www.transoniq.com/))

I rescued Napster a year ago after being very roughly handled by his young owner (dropped, "rolled" in his ball, etc.) I'm kind of emotionally invested in the little guy... :(

And I only used the tiniest bit of Neosporin, even though I don't think he is even coordinated enough to reach his back end, but I did not want to risk it.

MamaJayne
09-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok, she said Neosporin will be fine back there, if nothing else it won't hurt. SHe suggested seeing if you can dissolve some food pellets in water and make kind of like a gruel (sp?) of it and feeding through a dropper. If he's hungry, chances are he'll take that fine. If not, and he's getting enough otherwise, he probably won't want it. She also said that it could be some type of virus, and it may eventually get better. If not, and he is willing to eat out of a dropper, keep him comfy and he'll do fine. If he doesn't want to move, change the bedding under him a few times a day.

As far as being emotionally invested in hamsters, I do know that feeling. I went so far as to have her neuter mine so that they wouldn't be so aggressive toward each other, because I didn't want to lose them. The big joke around our house at the time was that she had to use fingernail clippers to neuter him (she didn't really use nail clippers...we just teased her about it). ;)

Keep me updated!

Iansmama
09-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I wish I had some advice. I think Napster is a lucky little guy to have been rescued by you. I hope he is able to recover soon.

:hug

boonpnutsmom
09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
:hug Hope he is doing better, any updates?

domesticzookeeper
09-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, he was still here when I got home. I was worried I might not be coming home to a live hamster... :(

He seems okay. He likes being held and petted (I think he enjoys the warmth of our hands). He's not too happy about being cleaned, but we've made sure to give him lots of TLC afterwards. Right know he looks to be resting very comfortably. I'll wait until he wakes up later to clean him up, and maybe tempt him with some food.

Epieikeia
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Praying for your little hamster Emily :pray :heart--we've had little dwarf hamsters in the past and have always enjoyed them. :heart

Sanveann
09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I'll pray for your little guy!

domesticzookeeper
09-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Napster's gone.

Around 8 o'clock, I took him out of his cage, and mom held him while I cleaned his bottom. I also noticed that his chest was wet with drool. His teeth appeared to be overgrown, but I didn't want to take care of that right away, for fear of stressing him too much.

After he was clean, I sat down on the couch and laid him on my chest. He stayed there for over an hour, cuddled in warmly under my hand, and fast asleep.

At 9:30, he started to stir a little, and so mom and I took the opportunity to get a better look at his teeth. I had to weigh the potential stress it would cause him against the fact that he could very well starve to death if this was left untreated.

Turns out I didn't have much of a choice to make.

He had another stroke, in my hands. It was very fast. As he was breathing his last, I held him, and stroked him, and told him it was okay. He could go. I leaned over, kissed him, and whispered into his ear, You've been a wonderful boy. You can leave now, it's alright. And he was gone.

There's nothing I would have done differently. No better way I could have imagined for him to spend his last night. And yet...it hurts so much.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_44.gif

Mothering by Heart
09-30-2005, 07:01 PM
:cry :hugheart

Iansmama
09-30-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, Emily. :cry

:hug

Ali
09-30-2005, 07:44 PM
:cry :hugheart :bheart

Sanveann
09-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh, honey, I'm sorry :cry :hug2

Epieikeia
09-30-2005, 08:03 PM
(((Emily))) I am so sorry...you have an amazing heart for the creatures of the world--that is a gift not many have. :hugheart :heart

cannuke
10-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry. :hugheart

MamaJayne
10-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm so sorry Emily...and I'm so glad you made his last days so comfortable.