PDA

View Full Version : need quick info about feeding 8-9 week old kittens (another sad update)

flowermama
09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
My mil would like to adopt two of the kittens living in our backyard (feral kitties). Can they live on kitten food? Would reg. cat food be okay until tomorrow morning? is there anything else she needs to give them besides water?

p.s. we know they can eat regular food because we feed them little amounts sometimes. They also nurse still (of course), so I feel bad taking them away from that, but we don't want them to get eaten by the racoons. :(

amstermarie
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
they usally start to wean around that time any how. she can give them a little kitten formula soaking the food in it, if they wont eat. or she can try starting them on wet, and then switch them to dry. i would try to wean them to just dry before a few months though, wet food is not good on there teeth.

domesticzookeeper
09-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Actually, wet food is really good for cats :tu A 50/50 (or even 25/75, with the majority as canned) diet is being recommended by most holistic vets. Yes, cat food is okay until you can feed them kitten food. As amstermarie mentioned, they should have started to wean by now. Many foods are labelled as "AAFCO Certified for All Life Stages", and it's good for both kittens and cats.

I would definitely recommend reading some of the articles on this site:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

It covers the basics of kitten care, and also the myths of canned vs. dry, etc. Good stuff :grin

flowermama
09-27-2005, 09:24 PM
thank you both very much. :heart

amstermarie
09-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Actually, wet food is really good for cats
wow, i read the article and it really makes sense... i guess that is another false on the medical industry. :shrug i have not been a tech for some time, but when i was the standard was to try to get people off canned. :shrug

flowermama
09-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Of the kittens that were left in the litter, one kitten died yesterday before we brought it up to mil's, and we brought one kitten up to mil's yesterday and brought her another one today. So the two kittens that were left alive in the litter are now at mil's in her utility room. Please pray that they will live and be healthy and happy, that mil will have the patience to care for and raise two little sweet feral kitties, and that the mama cat will be okay and not be too uncomfortable not being able to nurse her kitties and won't be too sad. Thank you. :heart

domesticzookeeper
09-28-2005, 03:18 PM
:hugheart

:pray

Sanveann
09-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Praying for the little angels!

Btw, Emily ... love your avatar! (My confirmation name is Francesca, after St. Francis!)

flowermama
09-29-2005, 01:05 PM
They were so happy together when we left yesterday. They were cuddled together and so happy to be together. The one we thought for sure would live (well, the one who seemed the healthiest and most full of energy and spunk) was dead this morning. :cry It's the one my dd loved the most, and she's so sad, so if you could say a special prayer for her and also mil would is trying so hard to help these kitties I'd be grateful. :heart Please pray that the other little kitty won't die, too. She's not wanting to eat. :( MIL is trying to give her something with a dropper and also is going to try giving her gerber chicken baby food. thank you. :heart

amstermarie
09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
:bheart can she take it to the vet? it sounds like they may have feluke or something. :cry

inesperada
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
:hugheart (((((Jeri)))) and ((((dd)))) :cry I'm praying.

Sanveann
09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm so sorry :(

I agree ... a trip to the vet would be helpful.

flowermama
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
The other kitten died last night. :(

We went up to see it yesterday evening and dd fed it some from a dopper. MIL was keeping him warm with a hot water bottle. We even saw him walk around a little, so there was hope that he might be okay.

MIL went to bed at ten, and when she woke up at 12 to check on him his little body was stiff. She felt that he died peacefully. :heart :cry

I'm going to try and get mil a card and a present. I am not sure what, but I want to get something. She tried so hard (she is 83 or so and it took a lot of energy out of her!), and she is so sad. :cry

p.s. if he had still been alive today I was going to suggest taking him to a vet, but ... :(

Epieikeia
09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
:hugheart :sad2 I commend you for trying to save those little lives and I share in your sorrow. :sad2 :hugheart

inesperada
09-30-2005, 02:45 PM
:cry (((((((Jeri))))))))

Sanveann
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm so sorry, sweetie :(

ShangriLewis
09-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Jeri you have such a big heart!