PDA

View Full Version : DD turning 5--now what?

AttachedMamma
09-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok, I thought I had somewhat of a handle on this parenting thing. I've gotten a lot of wisdom from Dr Sears, LLL, Mothering, etc. But now that my DD is really out of those baby years, I need a new parenting book! :hissyfit That other stuff was peanuts compared to the daily challenges that are coming my way now. DD asked me a question (a "why do I have to...") and I gave her some lame answer ( I was too tired/brain dead to deal with this challenge). DH just looked at me. :hunh I just turned to him and said straight out, "I got nothin' " :grin

Ok, so what do you use as your parenting bible for the 5 and up years?

I do have Dr Sears' "The Successful Child" and "The Discipline Book". I should dust them off and re-read them! :O

cindi

Gretchen
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Crystal's book is always a good one. :giggle :tu

I am a fan of Jane Nelsen's books (I know others here aren't) - my kids often need pretty firm boundaries, so she is a good fit for our family. "Kids Are Worth It" starts to be a lot more relevant (IMO) when kids get to be about this age. And "Playful Parenting" is awesome, too. :tu

Those are the ones that come to mind offhand. I'll go browse through my collection upstairs and post again if I find anything else I should have mentioned!

Gretchen

Sara
09-25-2005, 08:29 PM
"How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk"

Also, the series, "Your Five Year Old," "Your Six Year Old," etc. Those aren't necessarily good for discipline, but I've found that they're great for understanding some of the quirky stages my kids have gone through, as well as understanding what kinds of things are normal and to be expected.