PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, ladies!

Chris3jam
09-25-2005, 11:53 AM
This is in reference to my post in PI. Please tell me what you think of Dr. Sear's books, and which would be best for new, completely clueless parents. Let me just say, one parent even mentioned spanking a 2 month old --- not in a mean way, he's just very, very clueless, but wants to be totally Biblical about rearing his child. I need something that will help him undertand what a baby is (cannot reason at 2 months, for instance) -- kind of like the AAP book "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, Birth to Age 5." from a Christian perspective (and maybe just a little more about the actual brain development of a child).

PurpleButterfly
09-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't know that any book is going to get through to someone who thinks an eight week old baby can reason. :( :hunh I generally give "The Baby Book" by Sears to brand new parents, and if they are Christians, I let them know that the Sears are a Christian family.

For someone very trapped in a religious-punitive mindset, you might try C. Sybil Waldrop's, "Guiding Your Child Toward God", which is not preachy or specific in rearing instructions. The book is designed to help parents bring their children to Christ, starting in infancy with specifics for parents to encourage them in modeling Christlike behavior for their children. Chapters are based on age, which cover what to expect from a child and what normal development looks like. The book is geared for children from birth to age six, and to give you an idea, the chapter on the first year is subtitled, "Developing Trust". It's a nice short book and would not be overwhelming or seem pushy in any way, since rather than a specific parenting guide, it's a nice gift from one Christian parent to another, that would serve the purpose at the same time. :wink

:pray

Chris3jam
09-25-2005, 01:44 PM
OK --- so I have

The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two (Revised and Updated Edition) - James Sears

and

Guiding Your Child Toward God - C. Sybil Waldrop

in my shopping cart at Amazon. As a matter of a fact, I am getting one of the latter for me! That looks good!

Should I consider any other books?

Chris3jam
09-26-2005, 07:02 AM
"The Baby Book" by Sears to brand new parents

Which one is that? Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805461981/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-2196441-0304664?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance