PDA

View Full Version : No Cry Sleep Solution help

Titus2:5Catholic
09-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Last night my son nursed over 20 times. I need help!

I don't have the money right now to go buy this book, and our library doesn't have it. Can anyone give me the basic gist of the principals so I can start working with it? Or maybe there's a website, or a magic drug, or a manniquin that I can put in my bed that puts out milk, or something..... ;)

Learninggentleness
09-23-2005, 08:40 AM
:hug

This might be the exact idea that you don't want to receive, but have you ever fallen asleep with your son nursing so that he can stay latched on and you can sleep. That way you might be able to avoid the waking up process. Some nights that's what happens with my daughter. She can be nursed back to sleep, then I might try to unlatch her and move back to my side of the bed to sleep without continuing to nurse her, and then she may wake up and fuss...wanting me to nurse her without unlatching her when I think she's done.

This does not always happen, by any means, but sometimes it's what helps us sleep. But, if you are reading the No Cry Sleep solution, that may be just what you're trying to avoid. :shifty

expatmom
09-23-2005, 09:25 AM
The author has a website that might have some of the info you are looking for: http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/

Titus2:5Catholic
09-23-2005, 12:33 PM
:hug

This might be the exact idea that you don't want to receive, but have you ever fallen asleep with your son nursing so that he can stay latched on and you can sleep. That way you might be able to avoid the waking up process.

That's what we had been doing since day one. :) And it was fine. Most of the time I wasn't even aware that we had connected and I slept blissfully through the night, or barely woke up.

But now he's getting extremely fussy and squirmy. And it isn't satisfying him as much when he does latch on. It used to be "find mommy- go to sleep". Now it only "kind of" settles him down, and I eventually have to detach him because he is squirming all over and he starts using his teeth after a while. Or if I fall asleep, and he detaches himself, he's cranky when he has to reattach.

mamatogands
09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
her idea is basically that you exercise extreme patience in gently parenting your baby back to sleep each time he wakes up while providing cues to help him sleep on his own.
let's see, here are the ideas I'm trying to implement:
1) a lovey he only gets while he's sleeping that smells like me because we nurse with it
2) cue words for sleep, ours are shh! shh! shh! it's sleepytime. at first you only say these when he's actually falling asleep, the theory is that later they will work as a sleep cue
3) gentle removal of the nursing before he actually nurses himself back to sleep. repeated as many times as needed -- nurse almost to sleep, gently unlatch, try to let him snuggle down to sleep w/o the nipple in his mouth, repeat, repeat, repeat
4) nap routine, bedtime routine, and early bedtime

:hug2

Learninggentleness
09-23-2005, 04:57 PM
That's what we had been doing since day one. :) And it was fine. Most of the time I wasn't even aware that we had connected and I slept blissfully through the night, or barely woke up.

But now he's getting extremely fussy and squirmy. And it isn't satisfying him as much when he does latch on. It used to be "find mommy- go to sleep". Now it only "kind of" settles him down, and I eventually have to detach him because he is squirming all over and he starts using his teeth after a while. Or if I fall asleep, and he detaches himself, he's cranky when he has to reattach.

Oh...I completely understand now. Yes, that would be a trying situation. I can definitely see why you are wanting to have some relief/help in this area. :hug

Suzanne
10-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Maybe you could get a used copy on amazon.com or something? I just got the toddler version myself and if I weren't in desperate need as well, i'd just send it to you!
HUGS!