PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox and Juvenile Diabetes

Gailmegan
09-19-2005, 01:03 PM
My mother was diagnosed with JD at age 13, shortly after being very sick with an undiagnosed virus. She has been vigilant about her diet and taking insulin daily in order to maintain her health. Her interest in medicine was tirred due to her disease ans she became an RN, then later went back and got her B. of Sci. in Public Health and did some work toward her masters too. She is continually reading scholarly journals and staying up to date on all the research on JD. She is convinced that JD is caused by a genetically predisposed person's body's auto-immune response to a severe virus. When the body fights the virus, it attacks the eyelet cells in the pancreas. According to her research, the virus most commonly connected with the triggering of JD is chickenpox. So, she has really been getting on my case about vaxing my boys at the very least for chickenpox, and probably for measles, mumps and rubella. She is concerned that the boys may have the genetic predisposition, and that even if these diseases would not cause them great harm otherwise, that they could trigger JD, which she wouldn't wish on her worst enemy. Since I was fully vaxed and never developed JD, we have no way of knowing if I have the predisposition or not, to ascertain if it could have been passed to the boys.

Anyone have any information on this connection??? Of course if they got one of these viruses and then developed JD I would never forgive myself. I want to do what's best for my boys.

mamatogands
09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't know about the connection, but I did vax dd for chickenpox.
Here's something I didn't know then though (I don't know if I would have decided differently) -- apparently, since the chickenpox vax is pretty new they don't know how long it will be effective for. since chickenpox can cause birth defects, there is some concern that our dd's will lose immunity from the vax and be able to contract chickenpox in thier childbearing years.
just one thing to think about. :shrug

OliveJuice
09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I have read some studies on the connection b/t diabetes and the chicken pox vaccine. I'd have to do some digging to find it, but I do remember reading about it.

cobluegirl
09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I will see what info I can find. Also wanted to point out that Chickenpox vaccine is cultured on aborted fetal tissue.

mamatogands
09-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I will see what info I can find. Also wanted to point out that Chickenpox vaccine is cultured on aborted fetal tissue.

dear God. Really?

cobluegirl
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
yes it is

cobluegirl
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Here is some info that I have gotten...

JD can follow viral illness and viral vaccines (and other vaccines)
See my diabetes pages - copy those for her
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/diabetes.htm
Sheri

OliveJuice
09-20-2005, 02:04 PM

dear God. Really?

Yep!! Not to mention it is usually a mild illness in childhood. Vaxing for this does not give you lifetime immunity, it only delays you getting it (if you don't keep giving booster shots) Getting chicken pox in the teen years can lead to male infertility and getting it as an adult can be VERY serious. I fear many more people will die from chicken pox b/c we are vaxing our children, leading to more adult cases that are serious or result in death.

Gailmegan
09-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I read every single link, and found numerous discussions of the connections between vaccines and JD, but not one of them mentioned varicella (chicken pox). :shrug Any one have any other resources???? HELP!!!

cobluegirl
09-20-2005, 09:13 PM
hmmm.....let me see

Lyn
09-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't know about the chickenpox, but when my ds was diagnosed we were told by the hospital doc that his was triggered by a virus. He hadn't been severely ill though. In fact, I didn't think he had more than a cold until he started vomitting -- and that was from ketoacidosis, not a virus. :shrug

Yes, type one diabetes is an autoimmune disease. My son inherited the predisposition from me (I have rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis). Also, to develop JD a person must have corresponding genes from both parents. Does anyone in your dh's family have JD? Cousins, aunts or uncles? If not then the likelihood of your child getting it is extremely low. For dh and I, who both have the carrier gene, it is statistically likely that 1 in 16 of our children will develop JD. (For our ds it is between 1:4 and 1:8)

I would not choose to vaccinate to avoid an autoimmune disease. There is enough research evidence (for me) to point in the opposite direction. I read it through a local vax awareness group and don't remember the source, but it said that if there are autoimmune diseases in the family it is important to be very cautious with vaccinations. We choose to use extended breastfeeding as protection instead. Breastfeeding has been proven to aid in resistance of developing autoimmune diseases.

Our JD son was diagnosed at only 9 months of age. The poor little guy was formula fed and fully vax'd on schedule. Seems to us that the odds were stacked against him. That said, if a child has the predisposition my understanding is that they will become diabetic because any virus can attack the pancreas. Our son never seemed to be sick, in fact I think his very first cold was shortly before his pancreas shut down.

Oh, and there is a test to check a child for the pred. for JD. Our state checked all of the heel blood that is on file at the health dept. and our dd was found to not have the pred. If you are very concerned perhaps you could call a pediatric endocronologist to see if the test is elective? Then you can have peace of mind. :hug

allisonintx
09-21-2005, 07:35 PM
What if the vaccine causes the autoimmune response that trips the JD switch, just like the actual disease process????

Gailmegan
09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
What if the vaccine causes the autoimmune response that trips the JD switch, just like the actual disease process????

That's exactly what I said to my mom! She is convinced that the amount of the virus in the vaccine is so small that it would not have as powerful an effect as the actual disease. Based on the above links, which discuss just about every vaccine other than varicella, it appears the amount in the vaccine is enough to trigger the response, but there have not been as many studies about the vaccines as there have been about the illnesses themselves. (Go figure, we all know $$$$ talks, and vaccines are big $$$$$). Without any data to back up this theory, my mom sticks to the research she has. That's why I posted the question. I was really hoping to get ahold of some facts to prove to my mom that the vaccine could be just as dangerous. But so far, no one has come up with any research to help me. :(

cobluegirl
09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Here is some more info I have received:
Rachael I have never seen anything on Varicella causing Diabetes 1. That
doesn't mean it isn't there, but, if she is such a journal reader, I really can't
find much association. Researchers were looking at associations with herpes
viruses. Especially Herpes I, and II. The most evidence is enteroviruses, which
include polio viruses.
http://www.vaccines.net/newpage114.htm

Below is more info.
Wiley InterScience: Journal: Abstract

Type 1 diabetes is considered to be an autoimmune disease in which T
lymphocytes infiltrate the islets of pancreas and destroy the insulin producing beta
cell population. Besides antigen specificity, the quality of immune reactivity
against islet cell antigen(s) is an important determinant of the beta cell
destruction. Much evidence indicates that the function of the gut immune system
is central in the pathogenesis, as the regulation of the gut immune system may
be aberrant in type 1 diabetes. The role of virus infections in the
pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes has been supported by substantial new evidence
suggesting that one virus group, enteroviruses, may trigger the beta-cell damaging
process in a considerable proportion of patients. The latest evidence comes from
studies indicating the presence of viral genome in diabetic patients and from
prospective studies confirming epidemiological risk effect. If this association
holds still true in ongoing large-scale studies, intervention trials should
be considered to confirm causality. Of the dietary putative etiological
factors, cow's milk proteins have received the main attention. Many studies indicate
an association between early exposure to dietary cow's milk proteins and an
increased risk of type 1 diabetes. The question will be answered by a large
scale, prospective, randomized, international intervention trial. Another dietary
factor in need of more studies is the deficiency of vitamin D. Among toxins,
N-nitroso compounds are the main candidates. An interaction of genetic and
environmental factors is important in evaluating the possible role of a certain
environmental factor in the etiology of type 1 diabetes. © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

K. Diabetes and pancreatitis - coxsackie B viruses are known to cause
pancreatitis and diabetes in mice. There is some evidence that coxsackie B viruses,
particularly B4, may play a role in the pathogenesis of juvenile onset IDDM.
Postmortem studies on patients with diabetic ketoacidosis and
seroepidemiological data have implicated coxsackie B viruses. 30% of children with IDDM have IgM
antibodies to coxsackie B viruses compared to 5 - 8% for matched controls. It
is probable that other cofactors are required.

Can Enteroviruses Cause Type 1 Diabetes?

SISKO TAURIAINENa, KIMMO SALMINENb and HEIKKI HYÖTYa aJDRF Center for
Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes in Finland, Department of Virology, University of
Tampere, and University Hospital of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
bJDRF Center for Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes in Finland, Department of
Virology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland

Address for correspondence: Dr. Heikki Hyöty, Department of Virology,
University of Tampere, Medical School, FinnMedi 3, Lenkkeilijänkatu 10, 33520
Tampere, Finland. Voice: +358-3-215-8460; fax: +358-3-215-8450.
blhehy@uta.fi
Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1005: 13-22 (2003).

Enterovirus infections have long been considered as one possible
environmental trigger of type 1 diabetes. These viruses have been detected from diabetic
patients more often than from control subjects and they can infect beta cells
in cell culture and induce diabetes in animal models. Furthermore, a same kind
of seasonality has been observed in both the onset of clinical diabetes and
subclinical beta cell autoimmunity (appearance of autoantibodies) as in
enterovirus infections. Recently, considerable new evidence has cumulated from
prospective studies indicating the risk effect of enterovirus infections long before
clinical diabetes was diagnosed. In addition, several studies have reported
enterovirus genome sequences in diabetic patients more often than in control
subjects. Currently, the evidence for the role of enteroviruses is stronger than
for most other environmental agents, but still the final proof is lacking. The
ongoing studies aim to prove the risk effect in different populations and to
identify the underlying mechanisms. This research field is becoming more and
more important because it could open up possibilities to prevent type 1
diabetes by an enterovirus vaccine.

Rachael, I have not done a lot of research just on the chicken pox vax itself. But the little I did do, I didnt see evedince of the link between chicken pox and diabetes ( I could be missing something). You need to do a internet search on chicken pox/diabetes. I can tell you this, chicken pox has been around for ever. It is extremely rare to have serious problems from the pox. Infact the vaccine is a live virus, thus being injected with the chicken pox in a small amount. So if the pox has any relation with diabetes, it (chicken pox) is being injected into the child. Can someone in this group help verify!!!
JD has just started to be a child hood epedemic in the last few years (when vaccines have become more in numbers) There is a connection between the vaccines and diabetes. It is important that you do your own research on diabetes/vaccines/chicken pox and make the decision from that!!!
I can tell you I wish I could turn back time, I would have never let those shots touch my kids!! I have a 16 yr old with athritis, 4 yrs later, now 12yrs old, adhd (they had even more shots), 7yrs later, my 5yr old, severe disablities/handicaps (ten fold the vaccines).
Some diabetes is genetic. But an epedemic, there is a cause.