PDA

View Full Version : Is it rude to wear your baby at the dinner table?

cannuke
09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
:giggle DS has been having his evening fuss time right when we want to eat supper lately. I must admit that since I figured out the wrap that I made, I just put him in it, walk for a couple of minutes to quiet him and sit down and eat. I love this babywearing thing! :tu

He does get a little sticky from time to time if I spill something on his head, but we bathe him in the evening so I figure it's OK. :laughtears

Wonder Woman
09-18-2005, 05:39 PM
:giggle If it's rude I'm rude too :shifty

kris10s
09-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Just make sure he doesn't get food stuck in his neck rolls :giggle Poor dd had that happen a few times!

mackinsiesmom
09-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I use to wear dd too at the table. Now she likes to sit in her own seat so no more wearing at the table. She does wear her baby at the table sometimes though.

Katie

greenemama
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
i don't know why it would be rude? for the baby? or the other people at the table? does anyone care if you're just holding your babe at the table? then they shouldn't care about a sling. :grin

BeckaBlue
09-18-2005, 08:40 PM
:giggle
well, i always held ds or had him in the carrier/sling too :grin

mommyTay
09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't see anything rude about it. :shrug It is a lot better than putting the baby down crying somewhere while everyone eats.

Amber
09-18-2005, 10:36 PM
My ds used to get fussy right around dinner time during the first couple of months. I can't tell you how many times I ate dinner on the sofa while nursing DS...he did tend to collect crumbs though :shifty

milkmommy
09-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Nope not rude at all.. Here is what I hate though parents who allow there children to grope through the dishes serving dishes of food. (that will be shared by others) My SIL let her son (then 18 months) do this he'd stick his hand that had been in his mouth the all the serving dishes like veggies potatoes etc shes even allow him to take bits and and put the rest back. :sick Oh and she's a doctor I kept asking her to define cross contamination.

Deanna

2sunshines
09-19-2005, 06:10 AM
:giggle Yep, I did that all the time.

Biggest skill is learning to keep the food off the baby... :hunh

rinnyboo
09-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Definately not! I think you need to do whatever is best for your baby's happiness and your sanity. Once, I spilled syrup on my son's head when I ate waffles at a restaurant on the road. He had sticky hair all day but he slept thru the meal and everyone was happy! :P

Hopeful
09-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I do it all the time…even in restaurants ;)…it’s eitherthat or a wailing baby!

jujubnme
09-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I had a friend who used to call her dd her "little napkin." :giggle As an infant she was always fussy at dinnertime and responded best to lying on her tummy on mommy's lap. :shrug

LadyBird
09-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I always did it. Nursing her at the table, because she wanted supper too!

boonpnutsmom
09-19-2005, 01:10 PM
It's your own family table right? How can it be wrong then? As to going anywhere else and wearing baby, no it is not wrong, Lilman still sits on my lap to eat and he is almost 3.

purplerose
09-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think so at all! Even if I was out at a restraurant or at someone's house, I wouldn't think it was rude! I think they'd rather that then a crying baby!! I do it all the time! This too seems to be the period when Jake is fussy, so a-slinging I go!!! :laughtears

Embracing Grace
09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Before ds became a squirmy little guy, I nursed and slung him during dinner all the time. Yes, food did get on his little head, but we just brushed it off! :giggle

joyful mama
09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I've gotten gravy in my dd's hair before from nursing while eating dinner :giggle.

Katherine
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Not rude at all! If I hadn't worn my kids in slings to eat I would have gone months at a time without a remotely peaceful meal. :mrgreen

When my oldest son was a toddler (and I was pg with ds2), I wore him in a Maya wrap through most of my grandmother's very formal 90th birthday dinner at a historic Southern mansion/restaurant. He slept snuggled up under my chin... perfectly content.. and I got to enjoy some rare time chit-chatting with my family members. :tu

That was 110% better than trying to park him in a stroller somewhere or having him awake (and bored) in a high chair.

Radosny Matka
09-21-2005, 12:10 PM
:hunh Rude? No way! I wore Patrick in the sling in restaurants as a newborn (and at home as well). :grin

zak
09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
That's the only place my guy ever sits while I eat! :) He cannot sit up yet, and I HATE public high chairs anyway... I'm gonna sling him as long as possible!! (Oh, sometimes at my house I put him on the table in the boucey seat... but I stepped on it in the middle of the night two days ago and broke it!... so he'll be slinging w/ me at home even more!)