PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a 20lb+ child? PLEASE add your imput here!

Mia
09-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I know that there are alot of previous threads on "favorite carriers", but (specifically for children 20 pounds and heavier) I would :heart to know:

1- What carriers have you tried with your 20lb+ child?

2- What is your favorite?

I suppose if money were no object, I would just order one of everything... but since that's not yet the case :-), thanks so much for helping me with my purchase! :mrgreen (I'm looking for something - for the most part - to be used while cooking or cleaning).

Havilah
09-18-2005, 04:00 PM
ergo. it's the only one I use :)

kris10s
09-18-2005, 04:19 PM
I love my new Ergo, my daughter is twenty pounds, I've 26 weeks pregnant, I just wore her for 30 minutes while walking briskly (exercising) and experienced no discomfort or soreness at all.

I do use a pouch on my hip a lot, too, especially for quick trips.

RosieTook
09-18-2005, 05:02 PM
My dd is 30 lbs and I can still wear here no problem in my Maya sling, KK lightly padded, and also my Hotsling. Maybe I'm just used to the weight though. :shrug

Iarwain
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Noodle is 28.5 lbs at 20 mos and I still like my slings (of various types) for short periods. Our favorite sling right now is a black stretch velvet pouch sling. But if I'm going to wear him for an extended time I prefer something that keeps him on my back and uses both shoulders. Yesterday I hiked 4 miles with him in a homemade mei tai and today we did another 2-3 miles in the Baby Trekker. I like both and each has its points. The mei tai is softer and more compact but doesn't have head support if he falls asleep. The Trekker can support his head when he zonks out but is bulkier and lets his legs dangle a bit which I don't think he likes much. He seems to prefer the mei tai of those two but he prefers a sling to a back carrier fwiw.

I came up with a solution to the mei tai floppy head problem that doesn't involve altering it btw. I put on an oversized sleeveless jacket (sleeveless 'cause it was hot out) over both of us and zipped it up far enough that the neckhole of the jacket stabilized his head and neck. Worked great!

inesperada
09-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Abbott is only 22 pounds, but we LOVE the Ergo. We still carry him in our plain-old pouch sling, too. I'd love to have a mei tai or a cuddle 'n carry.

BeckaBlue
09-18-2005, 08:29 PM
nik is 24lbs and we still just use a ring or pouch sling, do the wrap too, but not very often
with abbey (50lbs) i can do the sling for about 20min, but if it'll be anywhere near that long, i go for the wrap (and even still sometimes for less time)

mackinsiesmom
09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I like a pouch for short trips (or in and out quickly at different places). Right now my favorite is the Mom and Me pea in a pod pouch.

I like either a wrap or mai tai for longer trips (like walking the mall, walking in our neighborhood). I love either a woven wrap or my Kozy.

I like the Ergo for hikes.

Katie

Amber
09-18-2005, 11:11 PM
DS is 24# and I use my homemade sling and mei tai. I really want to get an Ergo though.

Roses
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Ds is almost 30lbs. I tried a Maya wrap with him and a Mei Hip. The Mei Hip works better for us and is awesome! I never use the Maya wrap anymore.

tiglet
09-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Dd is ~23 lbs, and I use this:

http://www.walkingrockfarm.com/hip.php

It's good all the time for me - I can wear her for about an hour, sometimes and hour and a half (if I'm doing something really interesting, like hiking) before my back starts hurting. It's the best thing for the grocery store. And it scrunches up into a small item, which is nice too.

sadie
09-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I vote for the Ergo. It is truly the most comfortable baby-carrier I have ever used. :tu

sarahtar
09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Wally's been 25 lbs for a LONG time now, and I rely most heavily on our wrap. I can wear him in front if he's sleepy or wants to nurse, or on the back the rest of the time.

I also like the Asian carrier for shorter trips.

(I use Wallypop brand carriers, of course. ;) )

I personally do NOT like the Ergo.

kris10s
09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I personally do NOT like the Ergo.

Have you tried the new one? I know a few people who weren't crazy about the older style love the newer one :shrug I love how easy it is to get dd on my back by myself in the Ergo, a feat for a pregnant mama and a wiggly toddler with a wrap!

sarahtar
09-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Yup. Just not my favorite. I don' tlike how "contraption"-y it seems. I don't like the buckles. I don't feel like it's as versatile or adjustable as a wrap. The new one is at least not painful like the old one was, and we're going to be getting a new one, likely, mostly for DH, but neither of us is crazy about it.

Katherine
09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Maya is my overall favorite b/c of its' versatility, and I've learned to make it "last longer" with a heavy baby by changing positions periodically, or simply spreading out the fabric more to redistribute weight. I can also put it on with one hand and have it adjusted in seconds which is nice when I'm in a hurry and have a wiggly/fussy kiddo.

I did get a cuddle-N-carry when ds2 started to get heavier, and used it a little before he got all independent on me and didn't want to be in a sling anymore. :giggle I liked it for handling the weight--especially for longer walks and such, but I did need 2 hands to put it on.

zak
09-21-2005, 06:54 PM
My son is 21lbs and 5 months and I LOVE my Maya. I also have a NoJo... it's ok, not great. It's comfortable as in it doesn't "hurt" me... but the shoulder padding is kind of annoying.

Senta
09-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Christel is around 30 pounds and I can still carry her in my cuddle-n-carry. I love it! I havent gotten sore with it yet even with extended periods carrying her... She doesnt let me carry her much lately though :(

tui_song
09-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Ds is about 25 lb. I carry him in a homemade mei tai for longer trips, housework etc. I use my unpadded ring sling for quick trips. A pouch would be nice for the increased 'poppability'. I would like an Ergo but am not sure about the expense, so I'm seeing how the mei tai goes first. I'm still getting the hang of it. I find it very comfortable once I've got it right.

ShangriLewis
09-22-2005, 01:59 AM
Ergo :tu I've worn it for well over 4 hours quite a few times, too.

bliss
09-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I have to put in my oddball vote - I have a vintage (1st generation, I guess one would say) Snuggli - nothing like the "Baby Bjorn-type" product they have out now. It came in denim and courderoy (I've had both) and was adjustable for different ages by removing darts and snapping the inner liner up or down. I wore Booger in one until she was 4 and 45lbs (on my back) quite comfortably. I plan on using it again with Turkey as it gets cooler outside (the heavier fabric makes it not a good choice for summer). I usually use my Maya Wrap (ring sling) with Turkey on my hip, I just can't get comfortable with the back carries - I feel like he's going to try to get down and end up flipping out backwards. But I would definitely reccomend the older style Snuggli if you have good second hand stores in your area or maybe on ebay you could find one? (Yoda sentance - time for a nap!)

arwen_tiw
09-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Any kind of wrap for me. :-) Best on my poor back.