PDA

View Full Version : Help! My cat HATES the new dog!

Ali
09-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh man! I think my heart is still racing. We just brought home a new dog and I attempted to introduce her to the cat. That did not go well. We had a dog before and the cat and the dog had worked out a slightly tense (occasional cat attack on dog), but mutual co-existence. Now I just brought our new dog home today. When we came inside, the cat hissed and came toward us, but I was able to scoot her away with my foot while I put the dog out back. That all seemed pretty normal, like I expected things to be. But just now, I brought the cat out and sat her next to me on the couch and let them see eachother from a distance. They were doing fine. Kitty was letting me pet her and I held the dogs collar in the other hand and kept doggie from getting too close. Then, kitty started acting like she was going to go after the dog so I got up to try to put the dog in her kennel, but the cat just went balistic and attacked. I let go of the dog. Poor poor dog just kept yelping and trying to get away over and over, but kitty would not quit. I finally opened the back door and the dog went out and I blocked the cat with my bare foot. I have some nasty puncture wounds now.
I know I should have tried to introduce them more slowly, but they we doing so well! Our cat is dog-aggressive and I just wasn't thinking she would have to get used to this all over again. I am so sad! I love this dog. She is so sweet and gentle and now she's just had about the worst experience possible in a new home! It was really bad guys. I do believe if I had let it go, the cat could have killed a dog 5 times her size. This cat is nuts!
I am totally bummed. Does anyone have any enxperience with this or know any good resources for helping me get the cat used to the dog? I can't believe I feel so helpless about this. I love my kitty and I hate to see her so upset too. She was so happy when out last dog was gone :(. I feel bad for kitty, but at the same time I really want to make it work with this dog. She's just wonderful... Anyway, I'm a little rambly. It all kind of shook me up and gave me a reality check that I maybe shouldn't be trying to bring a dog into the family :cry.
Thanks for listening and thanks for any help!

domesticzookeeper
09-18-2005, 01:21 PM
This article may give you some ideas:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=cattodogintroductions (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=cattodogintroductions)