PDA

View Full Version : co sleeping?

luvinmykidz
09-17-2005, 07:56 AM
My 3 year old has been co sleeping with us from Day 1 and our newest daughter Isabelle has been co sleeping with us off and on for the last 8 weeks now. I have never had any concerns about their safety. Like Dr. Sears says we have our mattresses pushed flush against the wall and then she sleeps between me and the wall. My 3 year old sleeps between Dad and I. We all enjoy co sleeping very much. Now I just read on some websites that a pillowtop mattress is dangerous. Our bed is a simmons beauty rest and it does have a pillow top. Does that mean it is not safe for us to co sleep? Isabelle stays on her back or her side and then sleeps up against me so I feel her whenever she moves or even grunts in her sleep. What do you guys think? My 3 year old obviously had no problems but now I am just a little worried since I read that tidbit of info on pillow top mattresses.

LadyBird
09-17-2005, 08:51 AM
It is so interesting that you are posting about this, because I had the very same question and never posted about it way back when. DD is now 21 months almost and I am about 3 and a half months pregnant. I never had any problems with our pillow top, but I also had a fairly tight fitted sheet. The bed is so soft and comfortable, but it doesn't sink in when you are on it. I wonder if what they mean are these really thick feather bed type toppers. I can see a baby getting suffocated in one of those. There was no way that DD could have suffocated in ours. She did fine. Maybe someone else can answer this because I don't see the problem unless the topper is soft enough to sink down into. :smile

luvinmykidz
09-17-2005, 10:26 AM
ours doesn't sink down either so I figured it would be fine......Like I said my first DS has been sleeping with us for 3 years with no problem, I was just a little worried when I read that but I am guessing since he did just fine and my bed doesn't sink that she should be perfectly safe. :-)

ZaksMamma
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I've read that too; however, we have a pillow top mattress and co-sleep as well. I've taken other precautions as recommend by Dr. Sears and others, but for some reason I've never been overly concerned about our mattress - it seems to be just fine. That being said - do what you feel is right for your family. I'm sure some families would chose to get a new mattress and eliminate the extra risk.

~ Stacie

Suzanne
10-14-2005, 06:17 AM
We too use a pillowtop and dd even has her own pillow - very flat non-puffy down pillow. She can't sleep without it, and I know they say down is terribly dangerous, but she NEVER sleeps face down, never ever.. she's just a flat on her back sort of baby... Anyway, she's 26 mos next week, so I figure she's ok by now...

larsonwoman
10-14-2005, 08:36 AM
I've heard that too. I've also heard that you're not suppose to sleep on one while pregnant either. I've been sleeping with mine on the bed the whole time. I didn't have a feather bed when my DS was really young. Now he's old enough I don't have to worry about him. I'm not getting rid of mine just because of the new baby though. She will sleep with me if she wants to. Feather bed and all.