PDA

View Full Version : Nursing in the sling, I finally get it!!

RosieTook
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow! I had my SIL fix my Maya Wrap Sling, and since it's been back I have felt much more confident using it. She had given it to me and it was worn along the front, where the fabric sits in the rings when it's tight. :/

So anyway, since I have got it back I have tried a couple times to nurse in the sling, and it has worked great, at home, and at a friends house. :tu Paisley and I were out today, I had a bit of shopping to do, the things I forgot from our big shop really, and by the time we got to the bus stop, with 10 minutes left to wait, she was screaming and crying, and throwing herself around. So, I undid myself and got her positioned (not all the discreetly, but that'll come! :shifty) and then I nursed her standing up at the bus stop. :woohoo I had several people smile at me in passing, I wonder if they had any idea that I was nursing her, but she slept until the bus came and all the way home, until I tried to put her down. :tu

It TOTALLY works, and it is getting alot easier!! :jump I can't believe it, after my early attempts I thought I would never be able to do it! But here I am nursing her in it at the bus stop!! :giggle I just think it's hilarious that I finally get this figured out at a year!! :lol

AKCristyMJ
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Oh I'm jealous!
I could never figure out how to nurse Beth in the sling.

I'm gonna try with this one so hard tho!!!

Will it work if you are very large chested??

RosieTook
09-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, I am very large chested, at least a DD, sometimes even that seems too small. That is why I thought it wouldn't work for us, but it's pretty easy. I just lay he down with her head on the side away from the rings, and her feet out the ring side of the sling. Then I adjust until we are comfy, latch her on and adjust more if I need it. I'm not great at it yet, but good enough that I did it today! :tu

Maybe try practicing with a doll...it might help, (not that it did fgor me, but who knows, right??) you've got 30 weeks left!! :grin

flowermama
09-17-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm glad you got it! :smile Nursing in the sling is great! I don't know what I'd do without it. :grin That's awesome that you didn't give up trying even though she's a year old. :tu I didn't start using a sling with my first until she was about 11 months old. I can remember the first time I nursed her in a sling at the mall... she was sitting up in the sling and nursing and I was so much hoping no one could see what we were doing. :lol

It does get easier the more you do it. The other day I was so proud of myself when I went for a walk pushing my dd in a jogging stroller and nursing my 11 month old in the sling at the same time. I was thinking, really, how many moms could do that. :giggle Anyway, WTG! :D

luvinmykidz
09-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I could never figure it out with Richard and I still cannot figure it out with Isabelle!! Hey Sarah, If I make it to see you in Campbell River you will have to show me how to do it!! I have a maya wrap too!! The only position I can figure out is tummy to tummy...I want to do the cradle hold but feel like I will bend Isabelle in half when I try :hissyfit I am so frustrated!! I am going to come to you for some help :tu

RosieTook
09-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Judy, you know how I wanna see you!! :jump I'd love to help out if I can!! :grin

I am so thrilled I got it figured out with a 30 lb one year old, but it does make me wonder why I couldn't get it when she was a newborn?? Then again, at that time I only had a KK LightlyPadded, and it's nowhere near as versatile! :tu

luvinmykidz
09-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Maybe I should try it with my 30lb 3 year old :think :P~ My little guy is such a bean pole just like I use to be......I really hope to get chance to see you! It would be so cool!!

RosieTook
09-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I really hope to get chance to see you! It would be so cool!!

Yes, yes it would!! :hearts

DogwoodMama
09-17-2005, 01:41 PM
That is so wonderful! :tu I'm about the same size as you, but couldn't figure it out last time... I really think I'll be able to this time, plus I have a better sling! :grin

RosieTook
09-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Elizabeth, I really think the better sling makes a BIG difference. The Maya is so much wider, it allowed me to have her in there and still safe, with plenty of room left over, plus no padding to mess it up. I like my KKLPS, but it's nothing compared to the Maya! :tu

Katherine
09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I want to learn too!!! :hissyfit :mrgreen

I haven't been able to "get it" with either of my two. Well, ds1 didn't really nurse near as much b/c I had to start pumping exclusively. :( And I can't remember how hard I tried with ds2.. I think a lot of times I just got busy/frustrated and just nursed him out of the sling.

I do find that large size can make it pretty difficult. I am around a C/D cup when I'm not nursing. When the milk comes it, it jumps up to somewhere around an H or J. :O :eek I've never been able to figure out any "hands-free" technique b/c they all seem to cause latching problems or discomfort.. or the weight of my breast just pulls the nipple right out of baby's (or toddler's) mouth. And my toddlers wants to bite if he starts losing it. ouch! :doh

Maybe I'll be smaller this time.. (here's hoping) :P~ I've certainly stayed slimmer through this pg. A neighbor saw me yesterday and thought I'd already had the baby :giggle I was like.. " ummm no. I have 12 weeks left." :cool

AKCristyMJ
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm a 38H now. :shifty
I don't even like to know my size while fully engorged.
But I've sure inspired people tho, Friends and such who are not even nearly as big as me.....well 38H sounds big but I don't think it looks big, Anna Nicole Smith looks bigger than me, or used to.......anyways and some of them assumed they couldn't nurse at all thanx to thier chest!
I'm happy to prove em wrong.

So keep up the good NIP and/or sling nursing cuz ya never know who you might inspire, and how awesome too you did it with a toddler!! :tu