PDA

View Full Version : slings and scoliosis

ServingGod
09-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Can they go together???? I have tried wearing all 3 of my dc, but it just kills my back. I adjust the sling...but I start getting muscle cramps in my back where the spine curves. Granted my sling was a NoJo. I dont know if we will have another baby to wear...but Im just wondering if there is a sling that would work better?? Or if its even possible? I once carried my ds through the zoo for 6 hours in a sling....could barely move the next day.

lumpofclay
09-12-2005, 06:17 AM
I have scoliosis and I've worn all three children. I think it probably depends on the degree of your scoliosis and where it is. My back curves both sideways and "out." It does hurt if I wear them for a long them, but not to the point of not being able to move. I get a back rub from DH and after a few days, I'm back to normal. My back hurts a lot, though, and I've just learned to deal with it.

I find my Maya Wrap to be the most comfortable sling for me. I've never tried a NoJo, but used an OTSBH. The OTSBH is okay, but I can't use it nearly as long as my Maya Wrap.

Piper2
09-12-2005, 06:59 AM
I have scoliosis (2 curves -- a backwards "S"). I didn't wear Kevin a lot (didn't get a sling until he was nearly 30 lbs), but I found the Maya Wrap very comfortable, and it hung on the shoulder that would always cramp when too much weight was on it for too long. So my scoliosis wasn't an issue in babywearing at all.

ChristineG
09-13-2005, 04:40 AM
I also have scoliosis, for which I had surgery when I was a teen (they don't do the surgery anymore because it is not good -- lucky me :rolleyes). Anyway, I know someone else who had fairly bad scoliosis and it actually improved after a summer of backpacking with her dh. She was carrying a fairly heavy backpack (not bwing) that was well balanced and it partly corrected her scoliosis.

I would love to have more info about scoliosis and slings. I have never thought about it and don't know the answer, except to say that I have been slinging for over 11 years, toddlers and babies, and my scoliosis has not worsened. A good two shoulder carrier would be worth a try for times when you're carrying your dc longer than a shortish while. I guess after the zoo thing, you probably already know that, anyway. ;)

sarahtar
09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I also have scoliosis and wear DS comfortably. I don't remember where/how my curves are, but our chiro has said it's "fairly bad."

The key for me is to use TWO-SHOULDERED carriers. I used the ring sling when he was a baby (like up to 10 lbs) and was still fairly comfortable, but as he got heavier, past 10 lbs, I tried to still use the ring sling and just was in so much pain!! I've stuck to two-shouldered carriers (Asian/Mai Tie and Wrap) ever since.