PDA

View Full Version : what to do w/zucchini & squash?

poleidopy
09-09-2005, 10:38 AM
ALL I have in my fridge right now is zucchini and squash. That's it. They need to be eaten ASAP but I don't know how to cook them without bread crumbs or marinara or anything. I cut up two zucchini and I'm baking them, but I don't know what else to do. Help!!!

Aisling
09-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Here's a zucchini fave of mine!

Shave off very thin slices with a veggie peeler, and saute over medium heat with a few tsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and mint to taste. Yum!!! :tu

Thia
09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Slice them and fry them up with some garlic (even if it is just powdered).
Add some cheese if you have it. Yum!

ShangriLewis
09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Add to spaghetti sauce!
Make muffins.
I like zuchinni raw on salads.

What kind of squash? Is it summer or winter?

snlmama
09-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Do you eat cheese or cheese substitutes? I like mine layered with noodles (bowtie, macaroni, etc, not spaghetti) and cheese. :)

Add in some garlic and onions and a couple of fresh tomatoes on top if you have them.

poleidopy
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
What kind of squash? Is it summer or winter?

uh, it's yellow. :think :shrug :O

I would LOVE to make muffins, zucchini bread, use it on salad, etc. but right now zucchini is really ALL we have! :giggle besides salt & pepper. I just took some out of the oven and tried it. BLECH! :sick2 I had to spit it out. It was that bad. I guess I baked it too long. :neutral

DogwoodMama
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
I second sauteeing it, I love it that way with salt/pepper. :)

snlmama
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
In that case, steam it. you can do that in the microwave if you want. slice it, put it in a bowl w/ just a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom. Cover w/ plastic wrap (or lid if the bowl has it) and microwave for 3-5 min. until it's as soft as you want it.

ShangriLewis
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
I can't stand cooked zucchinni unless it's in sauce or sandwhiches. You can grill it or fry it in a pan in olive oil and put on garlic bread for a sandwhich. If it's steamed, baked or boiled I can't stand the texture.

ShangriLewis
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Does this look good? http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=19003
(Sorry I'm stuck on the Pillsbury site today.)

poleidopy
09-09-2005, 12:19 PM
sounds great 'cept I have no taco sauce, onion, tomato etc. ;)

i found an awesome recipe for decadent chocolatey zucchini brownies...which I am going to make right after I work out!!! :rolleyes :giggle

ShangriLewis
09-09-2005, 12:25 PM
sounds great 'cept I have no taco sauce, onion, tomato etc. ;)

i found an awesome recipe for decadent chocolatey zucchini brownies...which I am going to make right after I work out!!! :rolleyes :giggle

drool

BeckaBlue
09-09-2005, 02:41 PM
i love to sautee squash w/ zucchine and onions w/ olive oil. no flavoring needed :tu

poleidopy
09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
17 more minutes on the brownies.... :whistle :popcorn can't wait! there were like a million reviews for the recipe & most gave it 5 stars. It was really dry, but everyone said DON'T add egg or extra liquid - I guess the zucchini makes up for it as it cooks. Here's a link to the recipe: http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/ZcchiniBrwnis.asp

I'm not going to make the frosting though. C'mon and COOK already!!!!!!! :jump I can't waaaaaaaaaiiiitt.....

Jolie Ange
11-11-2005, 09:27 PM
veggie fajitas!!!!