PDA

View Full Version : Still feeling clueless

farmerswife
09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Having read most of the posts in this section, I still feel like I don't know what would be best. I have the NoJo Sling, which no one has mentioned- someone gave it to me. It hurts my shoulder too much to carry dd (about 20 lbs) on my hip, but I would LOVE to have two hands free. I looked up instructions for the NoJo & it seems I am doing them right. Is it possible to do something different w/ the sling I have, or do I need to get a different one? I am overwhelmed with all the choices you all have mentioned, plus we really don't have $50 or even $25 to spend on something I'm not sure I'll like. If you can help me I will be forever grateful! Thanks!

kris10s
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
To be honest, the nojo isn't a great sling. I'm not a fan of padded rings slings in general, but if you MUST have padding, the over-the-shoulder baby holder is better. If you can sew, you can make yourself an unpadded ring sling cheaply in about 90 minutes! As babies get bigger, a lot of moms prefer two shouldered carrying to distribute the weight better. You can try a wrap or an asian style carrier (mei tai) if you want to do that. My daughter is also 20 lbs and even pregnant I still prefer to have her in a pouch, which is more like a ring sling but not adjustable. I do use the two shouldered stuff if I want to wear her on my back, but mostly I wear her less than 30 minutes and my hip is fine. I made my pouch myself, so it was pretty cheap, and it folds up smaller than my fist, so it's great to stick in my purse or pocket for emergency baby wearing!

Dana Joy
09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok there are many many people who LOVE slings- but I do not for exactly the reason you have posted. I tend to have moose chldren and am small framed- so my shoulder always hurts.
i will stand up and say that wraps are wonderful- i found nothing more versatile and more comfortable and best of all sooo afffordable.
yes brand name wraps are pricey, but you can made no sew wraps for less then $10.
Here are the directions-
http://www.mamatoto.org/default.aspx?tabid=148
this site also has great pictures on how to wear a wrap in so many different positions. it does take a little practice- but i find it fun to try new wraps at home.

DogwoodMama
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
The NoJo is generally considered one of the less comfortable slings, though they work for some. You might prefer an unpadded ring sling or pouch. Can you sew? A number of mamas here have sewn their own slings.

Here is a website with instructions to make slings & pouches... http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/index.html
I personally use the simple, pleated sling that I bought from Jan Andrea for about $20, and I love it! My dd is 33 inches tall & 26 lbs, and it's very comfortable. :)

ChristineG
09-07-2005, 04:55 AM
In general, slings hurt after a short time with an older child/heavy baby. I use my slings all the time, even being nearly 9mo pregnant and carrying my almost 2yo, but I don't have her in one for more than about 15-20mins at a time. What I love about a sling is how quickly I can get a toddler in and out. If I need to carry her longer, I use a mei tai. I have used slings for 11 years, but have only discovered unpadded slings in the last year. I LOVE them so much more than my padded ones. Way more comfy. Any unpadded slings I have, I have made myself. I like the hot dog shoulder, but most people prefer a gathered or a pleated shoulder. I definitely second making a sling. They are so easy to do and so inexpensive. As an alternative, there are lots of WAHMs who make and sell slings who do so fairly inexpensively.

However, for comfort, since you are carrying an older baby I would also say that a two shoulder carry is much better. A homemade wrap (out of woven material, not stretchy at this stage) or mei tai (patterns on the internet -- a little harder to sew than a sling or wrap, but still fairly easy) would fit the bill well. Aside from that, lots of people really like the Ergo, though they are $$. :)

farmerswife
09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all your help! I was given the NoJo AND I did NOT even know that all those other types even existed! I am going to try to make one tomorrow. I'm excited now! Thanks again!

arwen_tiw
09-08-2005, 08:47 AM
I will absolutely second the wrap. Mine are all home made and I found it really easy once I got the hang of it. Jenna was 10 months when I made my first wrap and I have almost stopped using the pushchair altogether. I had back problems with strollers, as I am very tall, but never with the wrap. I don't think I would wear Jenna for more than an hour or so now though, she's getting to be a big girl! :lol