PDA

View Full Version : Do you sling while cooking??

GodChick
09-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Everything I've ever read about slings says not to use it while cooking. Yet I know some moms do. I'm nearing my wits' end because I can't cook--EVER--because DD2 screams and :hissyfit if I set her down long enough to cook. Even when she's where she can see me. Even when I'm talking to her at the same time. Even when DD1 is trying to entertain her. Even if DH is in town and is holding her. Even if DH is in town and holding her in the same room with me going, "lookie, see what Mommy's doing?" Even if she has toys. Even in a swing. Even on her blanket. Even in DH lap. Even in the "saucer" toy thing that I bought when DD1 was the same way thinking surely SOMETHING had to work to keep her happy when I couldn't hold her (it didn't). If it takes me 30 minutes to cook, that is 30 minutes of :hissyfit from DD2. The screaming starts THE INSTANT I set her down and DOES NOT stop until I pick her up again.

So, anyway . . . do you hold your DC while you cook? Or do you just have kids that let you set them down for a couple minutes?

Getting tired of eating nothing but TV dinners and fast food here. It's not healthy and costs way too much $$$. Trying quick recipies, but how quick is quick? 20 minutes?? That's 20 minutes of :hissyfit

:shrug

mamatogands
09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I do, but I stay ultra-conscious and nervous anytime I'm near the stove or oven. I prefer to put him down if I can get awy with it.
:)

MarynMunchkins
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Yes. I did, and occasionally do. Try a back carry - it's a little safer. :)

Soliloquy
09-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I used to if I was doing something that couldn't hurt her. (She's older now and likes to play in the cupboards while I cook. :tu But, when she was little, she was just like your DD2!)

I made a alot of crock pot recipes. I could make them in the morning, when she was happiest and most likely to be content away from me if I had to chop something. But, I tried to find as many recipes as I could where I could just dump everything in the crock pot and walk away. Then, at dinner time I'd have DH throw together a salad or microwave some frozen veggies. Dinner is served!

I learned that I could skip quite a few steps in most crock pot recipes. For example, you don't have to brown the meat first. The browning is just for appearance. Just put the raw meat in. I never sauteed anything first, either. If you'd like, I can dig up some of the recipes I used to make and post them in the cookbook. A few are already there.

Another tip I learned: (If you eat meat, that is. I don't know if you're a veggie.) Sometime when you DH can hold your DD2, brown several pounds of ground beef and bake some chicken pieces. Then, separate it into recipe-size servings (i.e. 1 pound or 1/2 pound) and freeze it already cooked. If you want to make a meaty chili in the crock-pot, just put he cooked meat in the fridge the night before. In the morning, it's all ready to go in the crock pot. You can have sliced chicken breast already cooked to layer in a casserole, then toss it in the oven. These are all things that are relatively safe to do with a baby in a sling.

I know what you're going through. My DD was the same way (and still is, occasionally)!

GodChick
09-04-2005, 01:10 PM
oh.'de love the recipies when you find time! :heart i do love the crockpot too.

can't often have dh hold her while i brown meat or stuff like that--he's usu out of town, and when he is here to hold her there are 20 more immediate things i have to do . . .no time to prepare for the future--the past is piled up on me!!. :crazy

lavender mom
09-04-2005, 02:05 PM
I was never able to master cooking with a baby in the sling. I was always too worried about burning or slicing them. I bought a Mei Tai thinking that would work better, but I didn't have much luck with it.

I'm finding that the best days are when I have meals that I can make during nap time and then keep in the fridge until it's time to put them in the oven for dinner. I've sort of abandoned most of my stove top recipes in favor of baked dishes just because I can usually put the ingredients for a baked dish together slowly (allowing for the ever present interuptions ;) ) and then they can go in the oven and I forget about them. I find stove top recipes require me to stand almost constantly at the stove and are at much greater risk of burning if I have to step away to help my kids. Also, I do feel comfortable slinging my kids while I'm assembling ingredients that don't require chopping or cooking- and that's another thing that helps when I'm putting together a casserole or a baked chicken dish.

My DD is past the "hold me *all* the time" phase (though she's still in the "hold me *most* of the time" phase! ) and I remember how hard it is!

arwen_tiw
09-05-2005, 03:50 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/arwen_tiw/slingcook.jpg

Dunno if this will come up on this board! But this is me cooking with Jenna trying to escape.

Totally agree though, she doesn't come to "help" when I'm near the stove, and it is a lot easier when she's on my back. Sometimes dh wears her while I cook if he's there.

cklewis
09-05-2005, 04:53 AM
I did within limits. I wouldn't grill or handle raw meat. But I would stir or set the table.

I remember that I used to do this with my dog when she was a puppy too!! Of COURSE I'd do it for my DS. ;)

C

BeckaBlue
09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
i would (and did) in a front carrier (or wrap) or in the sling on my back. if it was smething that would splatter or greasy, id have dh hold or set him down for a sec and go back to him as soon as i stirred/flipped what i needed to

ChristineG
09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, all the time...for 11+ years, now. The dinner hour is one of the main times I need the sling! If I am near the stove, I tuck the tail of the sling in and shift dd to my back and I don't stir fry or do anything 'splashy' with her on me. I really think that it is a matter of common sense and being careful. With an overly helpful toddler or for times I need them to be REALLY secure, but they don't want to go down to play elsewhere, I use the mei tai on my back or a wrap.