PDA

View Full Version : My 2yo has become glued to me at night. Whats up with this?

SingingPraise
09-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Roman is 26 months old. He and big sister start the night in toddler beds in their room. Dad lays on the floor next to 5yo, I lay in toddler bed with Rome.
When they're asleep we leave.
Around 2 or 3am they each wake at a different time and join us in our family bed. I have always loved cosleeping (tho I do enjoy the partial cosleeping now that they're older and I get a few hours to stretch out lol).

But for some reason Roman is suddenly needing me to be touching him for him to sleep. If I roll away from him he'll wake and grab my arm and put it around him, hold my hand or finger etc. He lays directly spooned up against me (this is NEW, he's never done this) and if i try to roll over he freaks. Last night he was thrashing about alot, woke me and i had to use the potty. Dh was shocked at how freaked out the boy was - he was crying 'mama mama mama' the whole time til I crawled back into the bed.

This is a child who giggles in his sleep (which is adorable btw) so I"m not sure what the sudden fear issues are.

anyone have ideas? we've had no life changes other then big sister starting kindergarten.

thanks

joyfuljourney
09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
My DS who is 27 months is doing the exact same thing. I am wondering if it is a reaction to their deveolpmental stage and budding independence.
Take last night for an example- I am newly pg and have to use the potty at least once a night. Last night I pushed DS over onto his pillow as he had his head up against mine and that just drives me nuts at the moment, but he wasn't totally asleep and puts his arm out to me saying "push, push" meaning he wants me touching him and I tried to explain that mummy needs to sleep on her pillow , "ssshhh" etc and he totally flipped when I wouldn't be next to him.(I am rather sick and tired of having my head whacked when he comes over to my pillow and gets comfy)etc.
Sorry no advice here just :hug but know that you are not alone.
I've read NCSS for toddlers but still not sure what the answer is or if this is just a (hopefully) passing stage!!!! :yawn

Jen

Katherine
09-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Yep! 26 months and same thing here. On one hand, ds seems way more sensitive to my presence/absence and physical contact. On the other hand, I've wondered if he's just being more easily disturbed by my bulging belly, getting up to go to the bathroom, and pregnant restlessness. :think

I was going to ask if you were pg. b/c my oldest son suddenly became VERY clingy/physical at night during both my pregnancies. :)

I'll say this... he has been waking up frequently through the night for weeks now (and I'm sore and exhausted b/c he won't just nurse back to sleep but wants to be held/carried/rocked.. arrghh my back) Last night I tried putting him down in his own bed, and he slept all night for the first time in recent memory. Don't know if that response will continue but I'm going to try it again tonight, b/c mommy is a lot nicer when she hasn't been up with a grouchy 2yo half the night. :shifty

SingingPraise
09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
nope. not pregnant :)
dh had the big V 18mos ago

but man, he crawls up right next to me. glad to hear i'm not alone, tho i'm sorry others are dealing with the lack of sleep too
lol

Havilah
09-16-2005, 06:11 PM
we've had no life changes other then big sister starting kindergarten.

But aren't you the incredible shrinking woman?? Maybe he's afraid you'll just shrink away!

I'm only kidding, of course :giggle

We're just coming out of a total cling phase. It was really rough, and we're slowly transitioning out of it. I wish I felt like I had some wisdom to share, but I'm not sure why it's getting better now :shrug We are trying to gently night wean, and I think that's helping, but IIRC Roman is already weaned so that's probably not helpful :think

Could he be cutting his 2 year molars?

BeckaBlue
09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
well, we had this happening with abbey when she was waking from difficulty breathing (stuffed sinus/tonsils blocking) or ear pain, before all that she slept wonderfully!
just a thought to maybe it's something along those lines?
OTOH, nik is 24mts and has, for about a month now. he hasta be in a DEEP sleep for me to move, and even that is iffy. I jsut assume it's a season and before i know it, he'll be growin up to another season :happytears

SingingPraise
09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
never considered molars -
no colds or sinus issues that i can see but the tooth thing might be.

We're calling him velcro boy for now lol

Miss Priss
09-22-2005, 08:34 PM
But aren't you the incredible shrinking woman?? Maybe he's afraid you'll just shrink away!

I'm only kidding, of course
That was my first thought, too! :lol

And I like "velcro boy." We've taken to calling our 18 mo "barnacle boy." Hey, I grew up on the water. :P~

SingingPraise
09-23-2005, 12:06 PM
really? lol
you think the weight loss could make him more clingy? huh - never even occured to me that could be part of it. wow!!!

milkmommy
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
My DD did the exact same thing at the exact same age :eek.. She had self weaned from our bed and was in her own room for around 6 months then all of a sudden she needed to sleep with us again. We never figured out why but just as strange as it came shes stopped.. :scratch :shrug We just let it run its course, and when she was ready she left our bed to sleep in her own again.

Deanna