PDA

View Full Version : Babywearing in "BabyTalk"...

SouthPaw
09-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I know, reading BabyTalk was my first mistake. But apparently they have an opinion on babywearing. Under the fact/fable column it had this...
"fact or fable: Heavy babies walk later"

Fable. "If a baby is heavy because she's always being held, she won't build the muscles she needs to walk," says so & so physical therapist... then it says "but heavy babies who ARE active won't have a problem bearing their weight."

What's the deal with that? Are they saying that some babies are held so much they can't walk? Where are they getting that from? Is that actually true at all? :shrug Aaaaaaack!

lumpofclay
09-03-2005, 10:57 PM
That just sounds ridiculous to me! I mean, who are these people, sitting around thinking about the differences between heavy babies who are held more and when they are walking, etc. And "she won't build the muscles she needs to walk" cannot be true because eventually she will. :banghead

purplerose
09-03-2005, 11:16 PM
:td

MarynMunchkins
09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
:giggle If babies are heavier, doesn't it make sense that they'd be held *less* often?! Since they weigh more, and that makes it more difficult?

What a moron...:rolleyes

arwen_tiw
09-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Jenna wasn't exactly a heavy baby, but she was worn loads and she started walking unaided at ten months. :scratch

Very odd. :shrug

BeckaBlue
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
abbey was my largest under 1yo'er. she was carried frequently, OR sitting in a stroller/cart jsut as much as the others prewalking age, she was also my earliest walker, at 9mo. kenzie was held/carried the least i think (also the smallest under 1yo'er), and was my latest walker, at 15mo

mom2jolakeil
09-05-2005, 02:28 PM
That's funny. Johannah was on the floor a lot more than the others and she didn't walk earlier, MOF she was my latest walker! Kendra was next in line, but only because of a vaccine reaction in her leg :banghead Although, Kendra was taking steps at 10months old. So, their "studies" or opinions are just wrong in my family!