PDA

View Full Version : I'm high - I just made homemade marshmellows!

KarenBoo
09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
No, it's not because the cream is delicious - which it is!! It's because I MADE THEM MYSELF! I have been on a 2+ year journey of transformation due to DD's food allergies. Every single thing she now eats is made from scratch. (ok 99%). Well when we go camping, I've given her marshmellows now that she can have corn. But I hate the GMO corn syrup and artificial flavors and colors in there. So I looked up a recipe and made it myself. I can't believe how good it feels to make her food!!! Just had to share!

Now, let's just hope they do well over a campfire tomorrow night!

ArmsOfLove
09-01-2005, 04:32 PM
but where is the link to the recipe??? :hissyfit

how proud you must feel--and how exciting! I miss marshmallows. There is one kind that is all natural, vegan, g/f . . and EXPENSIVE!!!!!

OnlyBelieve
09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
That is awesome!!

Now we are waiting on the recipe!!
:grin

BearyBlessed
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
How cool! I'd love the recipe too. :)

Wonder Woman
09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
yes please...the recipe...I *miss* marshmallows! :yum

KarenBoo
09-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Whoops! :grin Here's the recipe:

http://www.kid-craft-central.com/marshmellow-recipe.html

It's not vegan, but I wonder if you can substitute agar for the gelatin and still do it? It was so easy! Now, they are "setting up" and they don't look like they are going to set up really well. I'll report back after the camping weekend.

I used organic raw cane sugar. The flavor is really yummy! I don't care for storebought marshmellows anyway, but this cream tasted really good. I hope they set up well enough!

mom2jolakeil
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm going to have to try this! I bought some marshmellows from Whole Foods, but at $3 something for a small bag it's expensive! I haven't tried them yet, they're for our camping trip next weekend :)

Irene
09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
cool! I tried making marshmallows once and it didnt turn out :/ With us, its the blue that they put in the marshmallows that dd cant have. and this recipe looks WAY easier than the one I did :tu

milkmommy
09-01-2005, 08:34 PM
okay I have no idea if this is a GF or Vegan recipie :giggle but I made these for my corn syrup sensitive dd and they came out great.
Oh its from my copy of the The Food Allergy Kitchen Cookbook,

1 cup cold water
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 cups sugar
3 /4 cup maple syrup
1 /4teaspoon salt
1 1 /2 teaspoons vanilla
corn free confections sugar to form into dough

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup cold water and gelatin. Allow to stand. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, maple syrup, salt and ½ cup water. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Allow to boil for three minutes, while stirring constantly. Increase temperature to high, Remove from heat, and with a stand or hand mixer, beat at medium speed while slowly adding gelatin mixture. Increase mixer speed to high, after entire syrup mixture has been added and beat for approximately fifteen minutes or until mixture reaches the consistency of marshmallow cream. Add the vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.

For formed marshmallows, slowly add powdered sugar to the mixture until it reaches a dough like consistency. Transfer workable dough onto sheet style cake pan that is covered in parchment paper and dusted with powdered sugar. Form into a small roll for small marshmallows, or press into pan for large marshmallows and cut as desired.

Deanna

GodisGood
09-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I am making those tomorrow Deanna! The boys and I are going to camp out in the family room and have a dance/movie night. Boogie, woogie, oogie!

KarenBoo
09-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Well now I will have to try Deanna's recipe too! These that I just made taste very good :yum, but they are rather sticky, even after tossing in powdered sugar. I don't think we'll be able to roast them over the campfire. They just seem too soft. We will try though, and I'll report back on Monday.

Oh, and they WOULD be really fun for a kid to watch! I made these during DD's nap! :doh

ArmsOfLove
09-02-2005, 07:56 AM
sounds easy enough :highfive thanks :)

GodisGood
09-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Thought I would post this for those with ones HIGHLY allergic to the cornstarch in powdered sugar.:

http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/sub/sub5.html

At-Home Powdered Sugar
You can make it easily and quickly with granulated sugar and your blender.
Put about 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar into a standard mason jar and screw on cutting assembly.
Run on high speed (7) until pulverized

TulipMama
09-02-2005, 07:45 PM
http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/sub/sub5.html

At-Home Powdered Sugar
You can make it easily and quickly with granulated sugar and your blender.
Put about 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar into a standard mason jar and screw on cutting assembly.
Run on high speed (7) until pulverized

This is what we did all the time in Ukraine. I would not run it solid on high, though--to be more gentle with the blender motor. Also, we did add a little starch to it (potato starch, not corn starch--though, I don't know if that would be a no-no for most of those with food sensitivities. . . And I don't know where to get potato starch in the US. . .)

cobluegirl
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
YEAH!!!! Karen Have a great weekend!!

Irene
09-03-2005, 10:01 AM
most hfs carry potato starch, a lot of gluten free recipes call for it, so I know its getting more popular ;)

GodisGood
09-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah for us that's unfortunate. My son's more allergic to potato than corn! :doh

KarenBoo
09-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey y'all!
We are back and ready to give the report! They were stickier than a storebought marshmellow, even dipped in powdered suger. But DD loved to eat them raw, and I held them for her.

We tried to roast them. They completely liquified. We even tried freezing them first, but well, they wouldn't freeze!! :shrug If we could catch some of the liquid on a plate, it still had that yummy roasted flavor, but not the crunch or texture. Overall - a great success if you don't intend to roast them!

I'll try that other recipe next time we go camping and see how that works out! This sure was fun!!!

KarenBoo
09-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Ugh! My post got deleted! Anyway, we did try to let them air out for about a week, and they didn't change much. But that is a good idea! Thanks!!