PDA

View Full Version : siblings setting boundries w/ each other???

godsgracegiven
08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Is this possible? healthy? Has anyone taught their dc to do this? If so, how do you do it?

MarynMunchkins
09-01-2005, 05:21 AM
I absolutely do this. It's a very major issue here, and I make sure that Ana knows how to keep herself safe.

We've instituted a knocking policy. Everyone has to knock before they can go into someone else's room. Even Colin knocks (and says "Doug Doug" when you ask him who's there. :giggle) If someone comes in after being told "no", they come get me, and I move them. They don't always get to kick someone out, but we work through until everyone is happy with the arrangement. Everyone says at least "Stop!" when someone is messing with them. Doug and Ana will add "I don't like that. It makes me feel ___." If Doug does get violent, Ana knows to run to her room and lock the door. I'm trying to teach her to get Colin to come with her.

Unfortunately, this is something we have to deal with. :shrug So I try to keep everyone safe. :)

ArmsOfLove
09-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I work very hard to teach my children at very young ages to set boundaries with each other. In fact, when my older children are interacting with the babies and pre-verbal toddlers I say things like, "He is telling you with his body that he doesn't like that." or I say to the baby, "Say, 'Brother, back up.'" I also say, "Respect their body boundaries." I have toddlers who some of their first words are, "I don't like that," "You can have the next turn," and "You need to stop" :D

mili_cat
09-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I have just started doing this, after reading Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline. I've taught my three year old to say "stop" and also to redirect the baby if he's trying to take his toy (ie, to offer him something else to play with).

Becky

godsgracegiven
09-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Thank you, it sounds like it is teaching them communitcation as well as boundries. The reason I ask is because I am just learning this stuff myself. I wish my parents though me how to set healthy boundries with people. So I want to do it for my dc. :)

Mama Calidad
09-02-2005, 08:18 AM
We didn't consciously teach it, but after hearing DD say, "You need to respect me with your feet." on more than one occasion to her DBrother, I'd say she's picked it up. :giggle

Marsha
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Absolutely. We have had to model for dd how to tell someone to stop or how to say no or she doesn't like something. She was more apt to come whining to us about it, and we felt it was healthier and more empowering to give her the idea that she could tell a playmate to stop hitting her (in play) etc.
Now we need to work on manners WHILE stating boundaries LOL since she learned "no and "stop it" and I don't like that" really well.