PDA

View Full Version : carrots, carrots, everywhere!

mamaKristin
08-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Just harvested my garden...first time planter here! I'm drowning in carrots. They are everywhere, and I need ideas on what to do with them! I've never seen so many carrots out of the produce section of the grocery store. Oh...and here's the kicker. I HATE carrots when I'm pregnant, so just eating them as carrot sticks is out of the question for me. Any ideas?

(oh, and I have a lot of peas too....never thought I could keep any plants alive, and now I'm overwhealmed in produce! :tu)

joystrength
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
can you sell some? seriously!

jujubnme
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
How about canning them? Here are some recipes: http://www.recipezaar.com/r/85/431

I'm also partial to carrot muffins. When Julius was little I had a recipe from Martha Stewart Baby for mini carrot muffins you can make for toddlers... I think it might be on her website. Have to go look...

ShangriLewis
08-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Carrot salad (shredded carrots, mayo and raisins)
Carrot cake...you've got to still like care right? Plus, with cake or muffins you could freeze them for after the baby comes.
Carrot facial mask

When my mom had a big garden she would give extra produce to the Pastor because they had 8 kids and someone would eat it!

You can freeze the peas or make pea soup and freeze that for after the baby.

You could add both to gimmie lean sausage, cabbage, onions and make some egg roll filling. Egg rolls freeze really, really, really well. Just wrap all the egg rolls and freeze on a cookie sheet individually and then when they are rock hard double bag in high quality freezer bags. Another one you can eat after the baby. Just keep some sweet and sour sauce and rice around and you can have dinner!

Add grated carrots to salads, coleslaw, "fake" tuna.

Trade your produce with someone else you know. Many people have a hard time growing carrots and just give up on them. Your LUCKY!

Isn't their a lowfat guacomole made with peas...and here it is. http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/dips-spreads/sweet-pea-guacamole

mamaKristin
09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks for some suggestions...I think I will do some serious baking and freezing of stuff. Carrot cake is so yummy...anyone have a great recipe that is nice a moist (without frosting)?

Heather, we actually are the pastor's family - and do we ever get blessed with food too! Most of it is great...I could do with less onions (my biggest eeewww food) though!

nutmeggmama
09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
:nak
my kids LOVE pulling carrots and eating them. is issac there yet?
i used to hate cooked xarrots, but if you steam them or boil them and drain them really well, put this sauce on them.
melt butter, add honey, a pinch of salt and ginger.
yum.
oh, and we make oven roasted fries (well, before noah was diagnosed allergic to potatoes) with half carrots. add olive oil and herbs.
roast at 400 till browned a little, and tender, salt and pepper to taste.

oh, also, same thing as above with cumin seeds or powder and some ground cloves...add a little cayenne for kick :popcorn

ShangriLewis
09-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for some suggestions...I think I will do some serious baking and freezing of stuff. Carrot cake is so yummy...anyone have a great recipe that is nice a moist (without frosting)?

Heather, we actually are the pastor's family - and do we ever get blessed with food too! Most of it is great...I could do with less onions (my biggest eeewww food) though!

Maybe that's why you've been blessed with so many carrots :laughtears

poleidopy
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
you could juice them. Yummy & nutritious! :tu Add some apple for sweetness.

snlmama
09-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Grate them and put them in any type of sauce. Adds bulk and vitamins and dh and the kids don't notice it at all so maybe you won't either.