PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Slings as Gifts -- Type, Fabric, Style

cklewis
08-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Okay. I have a friend who just adopted a little boy. We are soooooo thrilled for them. I'm speechless, I'm so thrilled. They brought him home yesterday. She's not AP per se, but I'm just getting comfortable as an AP evangelist, and I'd like to make her a sling.

Because he's adopted, I just feel like he needs more carrying, more kangaroo care to strengthen the bond, yk?

She's a April Cornwell type in her own personal style, but she has a little boy, so it can't be too girly.

I love my pouch best of all, but wee ones, maybe the ring-slings are best.

What kind would you make? What fabric would you choose? What's simplest for the uninitiated?

:ty

C

inesperada
08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
I usually make pouch slings as gifts. So long as they aren't planning to try to nurse in the sling, they work well. :shrug I use sturdy linens for the fabric - I usually do plain colors, but if you want something really cute, I've found that I really like the selection and the fabrics in the decorator fabric section. :)

kris10s
08-30-2005, 06:35 AM
I always make completely unpadded ring slings with large sling rings and stretch twill, stretch twill sateen or the standard toile they sell in navy, red, black, etc. I think the stretch is a *little* bit easier on the uninitiated, but the toile is fun for those who have that style. The stretch twill and sateen at joann's is often on sale for 30% off and comes in navy, khaki, black and a rich red. The sateen is so nice and soft, I wish it came in khaki which my my most requested color.

I think an unpadded sling is really simple for the uninitiated, but like all things baby-related, it still takes some practice. I always offer to come over and help people with their slings, send them a link to the great instruction pages on the web I've found, and walk up and help them in public. I actually walked up to someone I don't know that well using an OTSBH yesterday at a school function and asked her if she was comfortable and gave her some tips. I was really bold about it, but she was really thankful. Not many people sling here, and most people don't know someone to ask. And if the baby is too low, etc. they aren't going to be comfortable and love and use their sling as much.

MarynMunchkins
08-30-2005, 07:24 AM
I make ring slings for all my friends with babies. In fact, I wrapped one up the other day, and Ana asked, "Mommy, do you EVER make a present that isn't a sling?" :laughtears

Frankly, I look for the stuff on the clearance aisle. :shifty If it's sturdy and looks the same on both sides I'll use it. :tu

lenswyf
08-30-2005, 07:27 AM
If she won't be trying to nurse, I'd probably say a pouch. The learning curve is lower (not having to learn to tie knots or adjust the rings, etc.), and they are so compact. I loved my pouches.

For fabric, I tend to look for something that is the same on both sides. I don't like to see the "wrong" side of the fabric. You can find that a lot with plaids, and plaids are more boy-ish.

cklewis
08-30-2005, 07:28 AM
If she won't be trying to nurse, I'd probably say a pouch. The learning curve is lower (not having to learn to tie knots or adjust the rings, etc.), and they are so compact. I loved my pouches.

For fabric, I tend to look for something that is the same on both sides. I don't like to see the "wrong" side of the fabric. You can find that a lot with plaids, and plaids are more boy-ish.

I can see her with plaids. . . . :think

C

kris10s
08-30-2005, 07:30 AM
I think I'd be apt to do the same, Mary, but I end up selling a good # of slings to friends of people I make them for, etc. so I like them to all be pretty standard quality fabric, etc. :shrug Cost of materials alone on my slings are pretty pricey (a little over $20 if the fabric wasn't on sale or I didn't use a coupon, though I always try to do one or both) but I always give *just* a sling and I figure that's what I'd spend on a cute outfit or two anyway.

Lady TS
08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Frankly, I look for the stuff on the clearance aisle. :shifty If it's sturdy and looks the same on both sides I'll use it. :tu

Me, too. :)

I found some linen-blend fabric at Joann's that I've made 5 slings out of so far that I really like. It comes in a rich red, sagey green, blues, maybe even a khaki. Don't remember for sure now as last time I was there I had 3 kids and had a mission to get the sage green, lol!

MarynMunchkins
08-30-2005, 08:19 AM
See, I spent a lot of money for my first sling, and actually like the ones made from cheaper fabric. :shrug I don't mind spending more if I find something I like, but I browse the clearance aisle every time and pick up good stuff. :) I don't think I've spent more than $10 to make a sling in a long time. And since I've made and given away 9 slings within 6 months :eek, it's a good thing. ;)