PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in the sling

cannuke
08-29-2005, 10:46 PM
DS's nose is really stuffed again tonight. He really only seems able to sleep in a more upright position. Right now, I've got him in the sling in a front cuddle carry and he's sleeping as peacefully as he can with his stuffy little nose.

Is it a really bad thing if he stays in the sling all night and I just sit up and sleep? Every time I try and put him down on his back, he sleeps for a little while (maybe half an hour), then wakes up screaming b/c that's the only way he can get air.

He's been up for 4 hours straight (until he went in the sling), which is a record for him, I think. He must be exhausted (I know I am) and I want him to sleep.

Beyond Blessed
08-29-2005, 11:28 PM
I can't imagine how it could be harmful, especially if it's the only way he's even a tiny bit comfortable.

Okay, so you didn't ask...but are you using saline drops and aspirating out his nose? That may give him comfort and help especially around feeding times.

MarynMunchkins
08-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Unless you gestated in a double wide womb ;), I imagine he'll be just find curled up in the sling next to mama. :)

Novella
08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I am sure he'd be A-OK slepping like that.

Also, if you are breastfeeding, breast milk is another way to help clear his nose! Trust me, it works!

ChristineG
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Sounds fine to me. My friend struggled with this with her brand new baby(#4 for her). I'll ask her how she is doing tonight when I see her and pass on any good tips if she has any.

It is not as ap-friendly, but if you aren't comfy or getting enough sleep that way, some moms find that their little ones sleep a bit better at the beginning in their infant car seats between mom and dad in bed.

Hope you guys are doing well!! :heart

cannuke
08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advice! :tu

We were using BM in the nose, then the LC told me on Monday that she thought that saline would be a better option. Our MW never suggested using BM in the nose, she only suggested saline, as well. She did suggest BM in his eye when it was goopy (seems to have cleared up). Both seem to be working for us.

We've also tried sleeping him in the infant carrier and sometimes he's OK with that. Depends on the night, I guess. :shrug

ChristineG
09-01-2005, 04:41 AM
We've also tried sleeping him in the infant carrier and sometimes he's OK with that. Depends on the night, I guess. :shrug

Corie,
Don't ever forget that you said this...it is SUCH an important thing for a parent to learn...and you have learned it in only a few weeks!! :) You will find over and over and over that your baby will start to do 'X' and you will be really happy (for example, "Oh, he just started sleeping 6 hours straight!") and then he will stop for whatever reason, which you will not know but will probably start to attribute to all kinds of things (teeth, he just started crawling, change in routine, your eating dairy, etc.). It is so tempting to think that whatever he just started doing, good or bad, is the way it will be for a long time, or until you take some action, but this is almost never the case. Babies change constantly and it can be really hard to keep that in perspective, but it is essential and so helpful if you are able to do so. I wish I could meet your little guy!! :)

ArmsOfLove
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
breastmilk in the nose is gentler--though I didn't realize before that the saline solution is the same concentration as tears so it is fine also--but it doesn't have the antibacterial properties of breastmilk. I've done both.

I also try to prop myself up in bed and have baby sleep on my chest to stay upright, or lay them on their backs but draped up so my belly is a pillow. This is how Aidan got through RSV. I prefer doing this on the bed in case they slide--it will be onto the soft mattress. I totally have babies sleep in the sling, but I try not to do this while *I* am also sleeping because if they bunch down I can't make sure they don't have their face covered--though there are ways in different slings where you could safely position them with their face up and out so I would decide based on the sling :)

I'm sorry baby isn't feeling well :( I :pray for quick healing

Radosny Matka
09-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Honestly, sleeping in the sling while I'm sleeping would make me very nervous (unless his head is sticking out fully in the tummy to tummy position with his arms tucked out). Patrick and I slept in the recliner (he layed on my chest) for the 1st 5 months. It worked great for us. :tu