PDA

View Full Version : Concern about up coming outing.....

Novella
08-28-2005, 06:49 AM
My DH and I are planning a night out Sept. 10th. My DS is 8.5 months. I am usually the one to put him to sleep as my DH is usually unavalable to do so in the evenings b/c he works. Plus, I nurse DS before sleep. (but not to sleep)

Here's my concern. My MIL will be the one to watch DS that evening and night. She has NEVER put DS to bed. We will be leaving before his bedtime so I guess you can see where my concern is coming from.

What should we do? :shrug Should I have MIL come over some in the next week to try and put him to bed??

Thanks in advance!

abbiroads
08-28-2005, 07:19 AM
My ds falls asleep very late but ok with others, starting at your ds age.

TulipMama
08-28-2005, 08:06 AM
*hug*

Of course I'd tell my MIL our normal bedtime routine--but then I'd trust her to be able to get my little one to sleep. If yours is like mine, she'll understand that things are a bit out of the ordinary, and will do the extra comforting, rocking, singing, whatever that helps your little one get to sleep. Honestly, I think it will be more stressful to have a "trial run" than just trust things will work out when you go on your date.

Do you have a cell phone, or can you leave a number for where you'll be? I know I'd feel more at ease, if I knew that I could be reached if my little one was upset and inconsolable. *hug*

Marielle
08-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Yoohoo! :tu I thought I recognized that beautiful HS pouch. LOL

I don't have much advice to offer since Tony and I don't have family nearby and haven't gone out in the evenings together. However I agree with TulipMama tell her your normal bedtime routine BUT also give her the greenlight to hold his as much as he wants and not leave him crying even if she feels like she's spoiling him. I know most people wouldn't do that (and I'm not saying your MIL would do it either) but it gives them a sigh of relief to have the greenlight to comfort Joshua for that one night however he needs it without thinking it would do him some harm. Plus if she's relaxed, he'll pick up on it and while he may change his routine that one night only he'll know it's a different thing with mom. Tony is able to put Ian to sleep with nursing him even though Ian still nurses 5 min to sleep when I put him to sleep. They know it's a different person and are very adaptable.

Do give her your cell phone # and tell her to be liberal with the updates - it will keep you sane and able to enjoy the night. FWIW even though I mentioned that I haven't gone on evening dates with Tony (outside at least) when I did go out before Ian was a year old I'd go out in the afternoons. Just for future reference - the tend to be in a better mood than when it comes to nighttime and bedtime routine.

Stick around!

Novella
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I guess the struggle for me is that my MIL is VERY high strung and suffers from an anxiety disorder-- so, anytime DS cries, its like she has a panic attack. Ok, not that extreme, but close! :eek So, DS picks up on that and freaks out even more with her when he wakes crying in the night.

He will take milk from a sippy cup, so I know that won't be a real problem.... nutritionally. Emotionally, he will miss not nursing before bed.

I guess I will just suck it up and hope for the best! :) My MIL will take care of his basic needs. I just don't want to return home to a distraught baby.

THanks again all.....

abbiroads
08-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Let us know how it goes.