PDA

View Full Version : Teaching kids to machine sew

MeandMy4
08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd love to start teaching my dd (9) some sewing skills, but can't quite think how to start. I've forgotten just how I learnt although I'm sure it was my mother who taught me before I learnt it at school. What kind of thing might be suitable to start on a machine? I guess she might need to practise sewing in a straight line first? Maybe on some gingham check. Here I am thinking aloud and getting somewhere, but what about some early projects? Any ideas from those of you who've taught your kids?

Celeste
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
My 3 youngest boys sewed off the machine 'hunting bags' today for one of their homeschool history projects. I cut the bags out and just had them sew in a straight line. Seems like pillows or rather cushions would be a good first.

Iarwain
08-29-2005, 05:52 PM
My dd (7) is bugging me to teach her to use the machine as well. I'm kind of nervous about it, so I'm starting her off on a hand crank so she'll have more control. I'm thinking curtains for her room, very simple doll clothes, a straight skirt with elastic waist, that kind of thing to start with.

lenswyf
08-30-2005, 03:41 AM
There are books out there to help you.

Best of Sewing Machine Fun for Kids by Nancy Smith. This is two great books now combined into one—great for teaching young children the basics of machine sewing. There are loads of fun exercises to make learning easy, and the projects begin with simple ones and new skills are added slowly, building on the previous lessons. Your child will feel competent with a sewing machine when she is finished with this book! The book is very sturdy with a spiral binding.

Stiches and Pins: A beginning sewing book for girls by Nancy Gagnon. Learn to Sew! From plugging in the sewing machine to creating a pair of pajamas, Stitches and Pins, our beginning sewing book, guides the novice seamstress with clear, step-by-step sewing instructions. Fourteen projects, complete with sewing patterns, are useful items the seamstress will be proud to use, wear, or give. Pillowcases, potholders, tote bags, doll blankets, vests, handmade purses: each sewing project focuses on mastering specific sewing techniques, and builds upon skills learned. Apparel patterns are for girls sizes 8 to 16.

I imagine both can be had at Amazon.

CelticJourney
08-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Find something with lots of straight lines (skirt, simple jumper). I started my dd with a costume for a play - it didn't need to be 'perfect' so it helped as a first project.

cklewis
08-31-2005, 06:29 AM
My mom started me out by practicing sewing straight lines around a picture of a dress and a skirt with no thread in the machine. I got used to the machine that way. I was about 8-9 too. And then we did a skirt.

C

MeandMy4
09-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas. The 2 books look great, and I'm motivated, just need to find the time to start it. ;)