PDA

View Full Version : Can I make a cake?

milkmommy
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
With out butter :O I'm really craving something sweet have been for a few days I have plenty of flour both raw and brown sugar vanillia extract an egg cimminon olive oil baking powder can I make something? Any ideas? I can only use whats avaiable we have $3 in our accounts till thurday :O

Deanna

Mia
08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
You can definitely make a cake without butter, you just need an oil. I wouldn't recommend using Olive oil, though, unless you've tried it before and don't mind the flavor it gives to pastries! (Tried it in college and threw out a batch of muffins!) Corn oil (or any other) would be better if you've got it or mayonaise works, too. Go to:http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/default.asp and do an "ingredient search"... it let's you choose ingredients you DON'T want in the recipe you are looking for (butter), as well as the ones you do.

milkmommy
08-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Okay I think I used up the last of the veggie oil and were down to just olive oil. but I can use mayo? Got tons of that :giggle

Deanna

beccafromlalaland
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Here's a spice cake recipe

1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup seeded raisins
1 ts. cloves, ground
1 ts. cinnamon
1/2 ts. nutmeg
1/2 ts. salt

boil these together for 3-5minutes
let cool then sift in

2 cups flour
1 ts baking powder
1/2 ts. baking soda
1/2 cup nuts

Bake at 350 for 35min

If you want a chocolate Cake instead of a Spice cake nix the raisin cloves cinnamon and nutmeg and add 1/4-1/2 cup of cocoa. YUM this comes out pretty moist too

MamatoBiz
08-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Yes, you can totally use mayo in cakes! It makes them really nice and velvety moist. Mayo has been my secret baking ingredient for years. Here's a recipe that's very close to the one I use.

CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. salad dressing or mayonnaise
1 c. water
4 tbsp. dry unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift dry ingredients. Form a well in bowl and add wet ingredients. Mix with spoon until blended, do not beat. Pour into greased and lightly floured 9"x11" pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

If you don't have cocoa, just add 2 tablespoons more flour and use more vanilla, or start adding spices for spice cake. Have fun!

**edited to add that the recipe omits the egg purposely; the egg present in the mayo gives it the lift and bind that it needs. This is awesome cheap cake!
***edited again because I seem to be having a spelling problem tonight.

4blessings
08-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes, you can totally use mayo in cakes!

Ok, so this is the new thing I learned today. LOL! :giggle

jujubnme
08-21-2005, 09:35 PM
You can also use applesauce instead of butter/oil, if you have it. You might want to look for a low-fat cake recipe that already makes the substitution so that the proportions are just right... I understand it can take a little trial and error.

milkmommy
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
:woohoo well I kinda motified your recipie MamatoBiz I used brown sugar instead of white I didn't have coco so I added some cimmion but did the rest as is. it came out really yummy DH loved it. It wasn't super cakey sweet just enough to satisfy a sweet tooth with out going crazy. :tu

Coopnwhitsmommy
:yum I love spice cakes a slice with a fresh cup of cofee :yum I'm going to have to try that recipie when I get more ingredients.

Deanna

Allison
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for posting that recipe! Awesome!