PDA

View Full Version : soooooooo tired of carrying, even with slings......pain.....

GodChick
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
My arms and back are soooooooo tired and I don't know what to do. I've got a wide variety of slings and a lot of positions in my reperatoire, but DD2 wants to be held CONSTANTLY and howls whenever I put her down. I've got a mayawrap ring sling, an adjustable pouch sling, and a wrap. I use hip carries, forward facing front carries, inward facing front carries, over-the-shoulder carries--sometimes the kangaroo carry, but she doesn't like that one much--I'm trying to learn the rucksack (back) carry with the wrap, but either DD2 is still too young (5 months) or I can't get the hang of it, because I'm wearing us both out trying, and she's just not staying in it right. :banghead

Anyway . . . I guess this is just a vent, because I don't know what further advice anyone could possibly have (though feel free to offer it if you've got it!) I'm just so tired. I'm a 100 pound weakling and my arms and back ache so bad when I wake up each morning the pain actualyl makes me nauseous. :sick It hurts from my back all the way through my body to the front, if that makes any sense.

aarrruuuuggghhhh!!!!!!! :hissyfit :hissyfit

Havilah
08-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm another 100 pound weakling and I couldn't handle constant babywearing, either :hug I have a job-related back issue that complicates things, too. Once james hit about 15 pounds I really couldn't handle it :( Two shoulder wrap holds helped, and so did the Ergo. The chiropractor also helped.

I know you aren't a first time mom, and you already know this... but it probably won't be long before her holding needs are a little less intense. Is she old enough to hold a soft toy yet? James started to like his bouncy and exersaucer much more around 4-5 months (well, maybe not exersaucer that young... I can't really remember). As long as I was close and singing or something I could have 15-20 minutes or so.

True confession alert: Our living room looked like a fisher price warehouse. We had a swing, bouncy, exersaucer, and baby gym. We joked that it was James' circuit training :lol We held him as much as possible (a *lot*), but would try him in these things and if he seemed content we'd let him be for a short while. He never let us by with it for long ;), and we never let him get upset, but I found that I had to find a balance between the needs of my son and the needs of my back.

sarahtar
08-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow, I'm grateful for all the weight lifting I've done over the years, I guess. I'm also 100 lbs, but have not had problems carrying/wearing DS.

This is a long shot, but have you considered that maybe you have something like fibromyalgia? You sound just like me when my FM is flaring up. Everything hurts, and it hurts all the time.

GodChick
08-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Havilah--(love that name, BTW!) yeah, you're right . . . I've been thinking and trying to remember how long it took my first to outgrow this stage . . . *whew!* . . . so, yeah, I knew that, but it sure doesn't hurt to be reminded, so thanks!! :tu

Sarah, I've never been tested for fibromyalgia . . . maybe that's something that I need to do some research into. :think I used to lift weights too, and I remember just feeling so good, KWIM? I never felt better than when I worked out regularly and lifted weights. You got me thinking . . . maybe when DD2 starts to feel more secure with short absences from me, I could go back to the gym and get back in shape a little more; I wasn't always a 100 pound weakling--I used to be a 100-pound strong person! :tu But lately I'm sooooo tired and sooooo achey, and I don't feel at all like I used to when I was exercising regularly. I'll have to wait until she outgrows this Cling-on stage, of course . . . but at least you've given me an idea of something to look forward to! Thanks!!

sarahtar
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I really really hate to be one of those "oh, you must have X disease" people...because you DO have a baby, and being tired to your bones is NOT uncommon for mommies...but do read about FM a bit. Worst case scenario is that you read about it, it doesn't sound at all familiar, but now you've learned something, right?

There's no test for it. It's one of those "well, we've ruled out everything else" kind of diseases.

But having a diagnosis, even if it was just a "don't know what else it could be, must be FM" helped. I can now recognize when the FM's starting to flare up and take steps to protect myself and keep me healthy and relatively pain-free. Not getting enough sleep, being stressed out, etc. all contribute to flare-ups.

PS - get some little dumbells and put them in the corner of a room somewhere. When you have a minute or two (naptime, or when baby is playing happily, or when daddy is home), you can squeeze in a few lifts. No, it's not quite the same as a full workout, but it does help a bit, and the boost to your emotional well-being is invaluable.

MarynMunchkins
08-19-2005, 10:02 AM
:hug FWIW, the back cross carry is more comfortable and secure than the rucksack. Colin always felt like he was falling out of that one too. :rolleyes

Radosny Matka
08-19-2005, 07:17 PM
:hugheart :(

Amber
08-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Have you tried going to a chiropracter? I know that going to mine regularly has helped a lot with my back pain.