PDA

View Full Version : wearing a 2 year old??

Zoesmama
08-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Is it possible? I think I'll try out the hip and maybe back riding positions. I'll be flying with my 2 year old dd in 18 days and I'm worried about the trek through the airport since I'm not bringing a stroller. Just a diaper bag(backpack style) and a carryon likely a rolling one with the carseat attached to it.

I dug it out of my packed boxes to use it for the flight. I suppose to I could always loop it around her chest and hold the end to keep her from going to far. You know give her the freedom but keep her close KWIM?

I have a stroller but I have already told a friend she could have it plus its the big heavy kind. I'd rather have less to lug through the airport and knowing my dd these days she wouldn't want to sit in it even if I explained to my friend I'd need it.

Do you think its crazy to just go with the sling?? :grin

Zoesmama
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Oh it is a maya wrap sling. :grin

And she is 26-27 lbs. :)

Beyond Blessed
08-16-2005, 03:12 PM
My dd is nearly 3 and I can still sling her in the positions mentioned. More than a few mamas on here are still slingin' their older dc on occasion! :tu The hip carry is *so* nice. Do a few practice runs so it's not too new for her when you are traveling. :hearts

Zoesmama
08-16-2005, 03:13 PM
My dd is nearly 3 and I can still sling her in the positions mentioned. More than a few mamas on here are still slingin' their older dc on occasion! :tu The hip carry is *so* nice. Do a few practice runs so it's not too new for her when you are traveling. :hearts

Yeah I plan to do practice runs. She has not been in sling for long time.

MarynMunchkins
08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
I use my sling all the time with Colin. :tu

Havilah
08-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Are you travelling alone?

I've taken two roundtrip plane rides with my toddler and honestly don't think I would have survived without my stroller :O Even if you are slinging the babe... it rocks for carrying the diaper bag. Umbrella strollers are inexpensive, and much less hassle than some behemoth combo setup.

Are you checking your rolling suitcase and carseat? If you aren't, then maybe you can toss the backpack over the handle and pull all of it so only the sling is over your shoulder. That would help. If not, definitely walk around the block with the sling and backpack on at the same time before you commit to this!

Maybe I'm just a wimp :O

findingjoy
08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
I still sling my 30 lb. 2 yo on occasion and she loves it. On our last plane trip we took the umbrella stroller and the sling. We ended up mostly pushing our bags and coats around in the stroller and dd was on my hip. My 4 yo and dh were along on the trip too. I liked having both options (stroller and sling).

Zoesmama
08-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Are you travelling alone?

I've taken two roundtrip plane rides with my toddler and honestly don't think I would have survived without my stroller :O Even if you are slinging the babe... it rocks for carrying the diaper bag. Umbrella strollers are inexpensive, and much less hassle than some behemoth combo setup.

Are you checking your rolling suitcase and carseat? If you aren't, then maybe you can toss the backpack over the handle and pull all of it so only the sling is over your shoulder. That would help. If not, definitely walk around the block with the sling and backpack on at the same time before you commit to this!

Maybe I'm just a wimp :O

Yep I'm most likely traveling alone. My brother "may" be coming with though I doubt it he hasn't saved any money. We are only flying one way and my dad has a stroller to meet me at the other end. :) Like I said my diaper bag is backpack style so will be out of the way. And I am NOT checking the carryon or the carseat both are going on with me dd will sit in her carseat on the plane I just feel safer that way with turbulances(I've never had bad ones but they are possible) and she will be more comfy I'm sure. My carryon has a strap to attach the carseat so it will just be a pull along thing for me. I figure i can carry Zoe hip style and wear the backpack and pull the carryon with carseat attached.

But I like your idea of straping the diaper bag to the carryon but then I have the carseat too so unless I strap the diaper bag into the harness and pul lit that way. I guess that could work too. I'd rather not bring the stroller though either way I'll be pushing or carrying something. If I push dd in the stroller and put the diaper bag and a small carryon bag in the bottom I'd still have that carseat to drag through too unless I tied it to stroller somehow too. Lots to think about. I guess I'll do some practicing with all of these ways.

Zoesmama
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Oh and forgot to mention it is a direct flight non stop. :tu :grin So really all I have to do is make it from the security check to the gate at the airport here. And then from gate to security check or baggage at the destination(Orlando) and I'll have my dad there. I'm hoping he can meet me at the security check point. I'll have to call and ask him. Then I'd have some help carrying/pulling things. He also has a stroller there I could have him bring to help stow stuff for the walk from baggage to car.

I will do a test with her and the backpack to be sure I can handle both. I plan to pack the diaper bag light though.

abbiroads
08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I think slings for traveling are the best :D. You can keep her close buy one way or another. I traveled with ds at 15 months w/ and w/out my sling, and with was much better. Also, People helped me with my suitcase b4 and after checking it in/picking up from baggage claim.

milkmommy
08-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I still usea sling with my 2.5 year old. I can't sling her long though but its been a great thing on long trips. I flew alone with her this past june. I was soooo thankfull for the sling, I also used a carseat going but checked it comming home. HUGE mistake!
Deanna

Havilah
08-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Yep I'm most likely traveling alone. My brother "may" be coming with though I doubt it he hasn't saved any money. We are only flying one way and my dad has a stroller to meet me at the other end. :) Like I said my diaper bag is backpack style so will be out of the way. And I am NOT checking the carryon or the carseat both are going on with me dd will sit in her carseat on the plane I just feel safer that way with turbulances(I've never had bad ones but they are possible) and she will be more comfy I'm sure. My carryon has a strap to attach the carseat so it will just be a pull along thing for me. I figure i can carry Zoe hip style and wear the backpack and pull the carryon with carseat attached.

But I like your idea of straping the diaper bag to the carryon but then I have the carseat too so unless I strap the diaper bag into the harness and pul lit that way. I guess that could work too. I'd rather not bring the stroller though either way I'll be pushing or carrying something. If I push dd in the stroller and put the diaper bag and a small carryon bag in the bottom I'd still have that carseat to drag through too unless I tied it to stroller somehow too. Lots to think about. I guess I'll do some practicing with all of these ways.

That sounds very do-able. I think you'll do fine :tu My plane rides were very different... I had lots more stuff!

abbiroads
08-17-2005, 06:20 AM
When I have brought the stroller on flying trips, all our bags, carseat, etc. have gone on the stroller and ds goes in the sling :smile. Does make it easier, you dont have to carry anything but dc. Our stroller is very sturdy and we always gate check it, so we have it until we get on the plane, and right after we get off.

Zoesmama
08-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Alright. :highfive I just tried her in it when I put it on she knew exactly what I was doing. :giggle She remember from all those months ago I suppose.

She LOVED it and is begging me to go back in it. :tu After I took her out she cried so I distracted her by having her wear one of her bears. It was sweet. :grin Of course I got a couple pictures so I'll share those in the picture part. :)

I even put her diaper bag backpack on and it was great and not bad at all. I don't think it will be a problem at all to carry her this way. :) Plus I think I may be able to strap even the diaper bag onto the rolling carry on bag. Its the kind with the bar that pulls out so I'll have her and one thing to pull not bad at all the same as piling it all in the stroller to push. :tu

~Melissa

Roses
08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Good luck!! Hope it works out well!