PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a decision

ServingGod
08-16-2005, 09:45 AM
We have settled on a breed, and a breeder. We went to visit her place this weekend and fell in love with her dogs, and they are SPOILED!!!! LOL! She has a 10mo old male that we went to look at. He was a house dog for 7mo but when the weather turned nice became an outside dog in what I like to call "the bachelor pen" 4 young males in a pen. :giggle Anway he was a house dog and slept in her bed, and was house trained. All her dogs are handled a lot from day one and are all just SO sweet. Maximus though seems to have forgotten all of that. He seemed a bit overwhelmed at first but I got him to warm up to me, and within a couple minutes he was on my lap. He is a submissive dog and flips right on his back the minute another male approaches him. He is a reserved dog, and a tad shy, and gets overwhelmed. The breeder has brought him into the house to work with him for the week and he is doing well...still a bit shy though. We are going back out on Saturday to see how well he does with the children. He is a dog that could really blossom with training and has a nice personality. Im just concerned about him getting overwhelmed and being around the children. We are really looking for a dog that can go out with us, on hikes, to the park, wherever we go that dogs can, our dog will. The breeder also gives a one week trial for the prospective owners to see how well the dog integrates into the family. But the breeder also told me that with how much I have been through with Z for the past 7 yrs I might just want to start off with a pup and have an easier time of it. She said that she knows whichever dog I end up with it will have a very loving home, so she said I can have one of the puppies for the same price as Max is...which is a few hundred less than she sells her pups for. All she cares about is a loving home for her "kids". I just dont know what to do. Im not up for another project, but I see the potential that Max has....what do you think??

Sanveann
08-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Honestly, I would not get a dog from a breeder who keeps them outside. For proper socialization, they NEED to be with people. I am especially shocked that she started keeping him outside when he was just three months old. No wonder he is shy!

This site is a great resource for good questions to ask a breeder: http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_frames.html

ServingGod
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Probably didnt word it right....he has only been outside for the past 2 months. Even then he still has had human interaction....her grandchildren are always over, her children help with the dogs, she is with them all the time. As a pup he was handled constantly and slept in her bed with her and the other dogs. In the summer she has the intact males in the runs, because her females come in heat, and she only has 2 litters a year....she doesnt want accidental breedings. I have interrogated this woman, and talked to other breeders in the area who all said that she is extremely dedicated and loves her dogs more than anything. The only issue Max has is he has forgotten his house manners....he is a submissive dog and seems to get overwhelmed easily. Im just wondering if he will turn into a big project. She said we can extend the trial run...which is usually a week, for a couple weeks and see how he does. If I dont think we are the family for him, she will take him back, and if we want she will let us choose one of the young pups she has available...they wont be ready till they are 10 wks old at the end of Sept. I want a dog that we can get a CGC certificate so we can visit nursing homes with him, that will enjoy agility, and maybe even flyball. Im just wondering if maybe Max needs a low key home....or if simple bonding training and obedience work will really bring him out of his shell. :think

Amber
08-20-2005, 01:12 PM
It sounds like some clicker training would do wonders for this dog and could help bring him out of his shell. One thing to consider when bringing a new pet into your house is that many adult or older puppies that are moving to a new home don't start to show their true personality for a few weeks to a month. This is usually more true of dogs who have been through mulitple homes, but could also apply to this dog. I personally don't mind dogs that are a little more timid, training and a good bond with an owner can help give the dog confidence. My main concern is always that the dog is solid around children.

Let us know what you decide.