PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat this chicken??

RealLifeMama
08-16-2005, 08:48 AM
OK, so, I bought this chicken on probably the 1oth. The sell-by date was he 13th.
I saw the sellby date and I don't know why I thought that the 13th was sooooo far away, like a week or so.
So, I happened to look at my calendar on the 14th and saw it was the 14th, and Oh my, my chickens' sell by date was yesterday!
So I opened it on maybe like midnight on the 14th, and it smelled fine, didn't smell like anything, not even chicken really.
So, at about midnight on the 14th I marinated it in vinegar, lemon juice and salt and spices. Then about 10AM on the 15th I grilled it to use for grilled chicken salads for dinner.
Well, DH wanted to take me out for dinner, so here we are on the 16th, and I am wondering if we will be able to eat the chicken in grilled chicken salads tonight of if I should just toss it.
Would you eat it?

Mama Calidad
08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
I'd give it a good sniffing. If it passed that test, I'd give it to DH to taste and see if it was still okay. If he thought that it was okay, I'd heat it thoroughly and eat it.

(Really, I'm not trying to be hard on DH. He just has a really strong digestive system. If he eats something "off" he rarely gets sick and never like DS or I. DD doesn't seem to get sick either, but of course I'm not going to use her for a guinea pig.)

RealLifeMama
08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
I'd give it a good sniffing. If it passed that test, I'd give it to DH to taste and see if it was still okay. If he thought that it was okay, I'd heat it thoroughly and eat it.

I have dubbed my DH the "royal food taster" but he is starting to get annoyed by it. :giggle
So, you wouldn't use it for salad, then, but reheated?
I despise reheated chicken in anything, it always tastes off to me, and all meat smells bad to me usually, so I am not a good judge. The marinade is pretty strong so i am afraid that is all we can smell/taste.

Singingmom
08-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I would. You cooked it in good time (you have a couple of days after the sell by date) and it's only been a day and a half since you cooked it. I'd put it on a salad too, especially if it smells and tastes fine. :)

2sunshines
08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I say it's probably fine. Smell it. Have dh taste it. Then go ahead and eat it. :)

Iansmama
08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Yep, what they said....especially since it is already cooked!