PDA

View Full Version : "he's going to be too big to carry soon"

zak
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Riiiiiight... he's gonna walk at 5 months?? People are so dumb! They only make this comment because he's so comfy and snug in his sling! If I was carrying him on my hip on one would ever say word one.

I had two people tell me this over the weekend! :rolleyes I always pat him on the booty and say he's so comfy and I love carrying him! Like I HAVE a choice, right?

Mama Calidad
08-15-2005, 01:19 PM
:hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit
You just picked the right time for me to fully empathize with you. :hugheart

MarynMunchkins
08-15-2005, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/BananaBug/7-2004-24.jpg

Somehow I think that I can manage Doug, you can manage your 5 month old. ;)

zak
08-15-2005, 01:51 PM
LOL, Mary!

I'm 5'10... I am pretty thin, but I don't think I'll buckle under the weight of him either! :)

inesperada
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
OT - Mary, that is an adorable picture. :hearts

People say this to me all the time, and they have since he was 6 months old. Most of the time it was because they honestly thought he would outgrow the sling. :rolleyes

Singingmom
08-15-2005, 09:39 PM
"That's all the more reason for me to carry him now!" :sling

And yes, Mary, that's a great picture! I'm glad to see you. :hearts

BeckaBlue
08-15-2005, 09:44 PM
:hug

I get it a lot too, esp since he's frequently in it and almost TWO. and when i carry both, you'd think he word stopped spinning to some of them people :rolleyes BUT we do geta lot more GOOD comments then bad atleast :D

Zoesmama
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh my!! She probably just didn't know. Those that don't have kids usually are clueless about these things.

The stupidest thing I've heard was when someone asked me when she was only 2-3 months old if she was walking yet!!! :eek :shrug What was she thinking probably just ignorant about this subject. She didn't even look big. She was 7 lbs at birth and I think 10-11 lbs at most by 2 months.

I'm lucky I don't think I ever got those comments. Mostly I'd only hear "Thats so neat" or "She looks sooooo comfy" or "How sweet. I wish they had those things when I had him/her(as they point to their older child)" I think if anyone thought that with my dd they didn't say anything to me. Only one that I got the shes too big to be held was from my mom and MIL. I wonder if I'll hear that when I take dd through the airport in 2 1/2 weeks at age 2 in hers. :giggle

mamaKristin
08-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Wow - wonder what they would think of me slinging DS the other week....6 months pregnant and he's 3! (we were at the lake, he went in wearing his pants and was stripped down to a pull up - I was slinging him to keep him out of the sand....but it totally worked!)

Some people I guess really must think that little ones are really hard to carry past a certain size...wait they are...just NOT in a sling! :mrgreen

Wonder Woman
08-18-2005, 04:24 AM
:hug2
yeah, I get that a lot too - especially now that ds is a 37 inch tall 21 mo and looks like he's about 2.5 :rolleyes
some people!
I've slung my 4yo niece before and she LOVES it. A sling makes them so much easier to carry, too!

When ds was first born, I was slinging him in the mall. All these people kept commenting on how he must be so squished. One elderly woman kept telling me that he was horribly uncomfortable, I was cramping him, I would hurt his back and neck....blah blah blah. She wouldn't stop! So I finally told her "ma'am, he just spent the last 8 months squished tinier than this in my uterus. This is how he is most content right now." :giggle
She shut up and walked away! :O

BeckaBlue
08-18-2005, 05:59 AM
my sis slung my almost 5.5yo nephew through the outlet mall last month :giggle nobody commented, but she got a few looks

sarahtar
08-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Man, I swear, if I hear "well, he's getting too big for such a small mommy to carry him around!" one more time... well, it won't be pretty.

Actually, a woman at a garage sale made that comment and I said something stupid like "oh, we're quite comfortable thanks." and she asked how old he was (15 mo at the time) and then she asked "well, doesn't he walk?"

Well, yes, but we're at a GARAGE SALE with lots of boxes full of junk and breakable things right where he can reach them, so I kind of thought that letting him wander around wasn't the best of ideas.

I said "well, sure, but this way we can snuggle while I shop."

Radosny Matka
08-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Ugh! That is so annoying! Why don't people let a baby be a BABY!!!

allisonintx
08-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Ugh! That is so annoying! Why don't people let a baby be a BABY!!!
Umm, yea, and then they lament that children grow up too fast these days....wonder why :doh

mackinsiesmom
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I think most people know that the major carriers sold in stores only last a couple of months before the child hits the weight limit or the parent can't carry them in it anymore because it hurts their backs and/or shoulders.

My 2 year old will pull out a sling every day and say "sling" and turn around so I can put her on my back.

Katie

Roses
08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I always hated the "squished" comments! I had at least 3 people look horrified and say how "squished" he looked (this is from like 2 months old on!)

How squished do they think they were in the womb...they enjoyed that, didn't they??? ;)

sumara
08-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I've been getting that too, since Bear was about 3 months old. Mostly from my MIL who probably just wants to hold her herself. :rolleyes

I agree with the sentiment that people should just let babies be babies. They've got their whole life to walk and run and be independent, let's keep childhood what it's supposed to be! :)