PDA

View Full Version : What to do with excess celery and green onions?

butterflyqueen71
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I had to buy a whole bag of both celery and green onions...although I only need a bit for a couple of dishes I'm going to make. Can I chop them up and put them in freezer bags and freeze? Do they freeze well? How long can they keep if I decide not to freeze them but refrigerate instead? TIA!

ETA: I have the same ? about regular onions, too...I bought this onion to use for one little dish, and since I don't need the whole thing, I don't want it to go to waste. Thanks!

Thia
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
I freeze them all the time. Chop em up and into a zip lock. I will use them for soups, spaghetti sauce, and chili.

JJsMom
08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
There are a ton of things you can make with celery and green onions! Those are a couple of my favorites to have on hand! :yum You could use them both with some carrots in a rice pilaf or fried rice. I just made fried rice last night and it was really good. I used leftover rice and cooked up some veggies first in olive oil, then added the rice, then some chicken, cook that until warmed through, then add the chopped green onions, then I added a beaten egg and some soy sauce, just until the egg is set. Go easy on the soy sauce at first, then add more as you like. It is pretty easy and we all really like it.
You could also make soup, just a chicken soup with those or here's a really good potato soup:
Potato Soup
4 potatoes, peeled and quartered 2 ½ c milk (I use rice and soy)
1 small carrot, finely chopped 3 T. marg., melted
1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped 3 T. flour
1 small onion, minced 1 T parsley (optional)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water) 1 t pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Bring potatoes, veggies, broth and salt to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender, check with a fork (about twenty minutes or so). Don't rinse, just use a potato masher and mash it up some. Stir in the milk, heat some while you are working on the next step.
Combine melted butter, flour (can use any flour), pepper and parsley, add to pot. Cook over medium until it's thick and kind of bubbly.
HTH! :-)