PDA

View Full Version : Where do I even start?

Radosny Matka
08-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Dh and I are contemplating becoming vegetarian. I want to make sure we do it right so we stay healthy. :grin Where do I even start? Where can I find a variety of yummy and "normal" recipes. ;) How do I make sure we get enough iron and protien? Are there meat substitutes other than tofu (gag, puke, gross)? How about a multivitamin? I am bf'ing and dh would need one too. I'm sure you get these posts all the time, so thanks for replying. :D

ShangriLewis
08-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Dh and I are contemplating becoming vegetarian. I want to make sure we do it right so we stay healthy. :grin Where do I even start? Where can I find a variety of yummy and "normal" recipes. ;) How do I make sure we get enough iron and protein? Are there meat substitutes other than tofu (gag, puke, gross)? How about a multivitamin? I am bf'ing and dh would need one too. I'm sure you get these posts all the time, so thanks for replying. :D

You might want to check out the resources in the sticky. If you are really ready to give it a go you will find your taste buds will change. You will start to enjoy foods you wouldn't enjoy before. The best thing to do is not to try and substitute for meat. Start enjoying more grains and veggies. I grew up on Polish bland meat in everything meals. I would never have eaten tofu or Thai food when I was younger. Now it's my favorite!

I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old and I just keep taking a prenatel. Have been burritos with no meat, fajitas with just marinated veggies, spaghetti with no meat. We try to have a really big salad at every meal. Be ready to not enjoy meals and new foods you try the first few times around. But, just keep trying it. It's just like being a little child again. You are going to have to learn to try a few bites of new foods. You have to stop looking at your plate with meat as the main dish with sides. Start eating the sides as your main dish with a big salad. Your health and body will thank you for it. Eat out at a Thai or Indian restaraunt. They have plenty of veg options. Just be open to new foods! If you like mexican just ask them to replace the meat with beans. Most Mexican restaurants have whole black beans and that's what I ask for.

I'm a vegetarian. Can you make the enchilidas with whole black beans inside instead of the meat option? Tacos with beans are quite good.

If you like sloppy joes you can use the burger crumbles and sauce and that's Veg. My kids love that.

mummy2boys
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
This is my problem...I talked to DH about it last night after reading some of the links.....never thought about humans not being meant to eat meat before the fall :doh

He is not that enthusiastic about it....so I want to gradually phase it in....so where would I start?

...sorry to hijack your thread mylittletykes :hug

ShangriLewis
08-19-2005, 02:39 AM
How about trying new foods? Really get those tastebuds growing before you start pulling away all the old comforts. I love to eat :grin

What meals do you normally rotate through? How can you make those vegetarian or add more vegetarian options to? Yes you can make a list to share here and we can all try and help you.