PDA

View Full Version : Yummy blueberry topping for pancakes or waffles! - CORRECTION!

Sara
08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
We have lots of blueberries to use up since they are so cheap right now and I discovered this delicious, relatively healthy recipe to put on top of pancakes or waffles.

Blueberry Topping

2 c blueberries
1 T sugar
1/2 t lemon zest
1 t lemon juice

In a saucepan over medium heat combine 1 cup of blueberries, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; heat, stirring constantly, until almost jam consistency, about 8 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup blueberries. Serve over panckaes or waffles.

I found that this made about 4 servings. As an aside, I'm doing Weight Watchers and it was just one point per serving. Most of the blueberry topping recipes I found had up to 1.5 cups of sugar in them for the same amount of blueberries! :eek We had this for breakfast this morning over waffles and it was scrumptuous and easy! :tu

MamatoBiz
08-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Mmmmm! I'm going to try that tomorrow!

RealLifeMama
08-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks!
I like that it is a low sugar recipe, I may even try stevia and see how it comes out.
We picked 13 pounds of berries yesterday, so I am looking for what to do with them, besides freezing, of course.

Sara
08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh, no!! I typed the recipe wrong. I hope you girls see this before you make it.

It requires TWO cups of blueberries. The first cup gets cooked and the second cup gets added at the very end.

RealLifeMama
08-14-2005, 01:01 PM
That's even better, since that would about cut the sugar in half! That is less than a tsp per serving as it is.