PDA

View Full Version : OTSBH for a newborn

MamaKanga
08-12-2005, 04:40 AM
OK, dumb question, but when I put my newborn in the OTSBH should her head be toward the ring or at the other end? Also, should I be concerned that this keeps her in a curled up position? It seems like it's hard to breathe, so I'm constantly trying to readjust the sling to get her stretched out. Tips appreciated! I have only ever carried a toddler in this sling!

tryin-to-FROG
08-12-2005, 05:39 PM
head towards the ring if they are sitting up- they are ok curled up,they were that way just a short time ago:)-or you can have their head the other way- in the nursing position laying down. my daughter liked it best to be upright with her body against mine- then I would pull the sling tight and snug- I am not sure if you know what I mean- kind of like the position they would be in if they were in like a snigli or baby bjorn but in the otsbh instead. just make sure you have it snug,
Lorene

mamabeanbean
09-20-2005, 05:14 PM
My ds and I liked to use the OTSBH with his head toward the ring end. Like PP said, if dc looks scrinched, hey, it was even cozier in the womb! Try this: hold dc with head in the crook of your elbow, you've already got the sling on with ring on the same side as baby's head. Use your elbow to open up the fabric and lay your babe inside. It's been few months, I'm enjoying remembering how sweetly he slept through all my shopping like that! :happytears

zak
09-21-2005, 06:52 PM
My son liked to be upright too. I only laid him down if he was nursing - head toward the rings mostly... now I leave his feet out (because he's TOO long) and nurse on either side and the rings are always on my right shoulder.

I wouldn't worry about her being squished. She probably likes it! If she doesn't, I'm sure she'll let you know.

greenskittle
09-21-2005, 06:59 PM
My DD didn't like being squished, and she did let me know. ;) I didn't know that I could carry her in the nursing position (she'd probably would have liked that) so I carried her with her head up. Since she felt insecure at first I'd wrap her in a baby blankey and then put her in the OTSBH. It made her fatter, and then she fit better and could be stretched out and snuggled all at the same time. :)