PDA

View Full Version : African violet won't bloom (UPDATE)

mom2threePKs
08-12-2005, 04:26 AM
So i got this AfricanViolet at a charity auction. It as in a pot painted by some kids in the ministry we were supporting. The violet was nearly dead but with some water and sunshine it slowly made a recovery. Before we went on vacation for 2 weeks in June I filled the kitchen sink with a couple inches of water and left it in the sink. The sink is in front of an East facng window which is where the plantnormally sits. WhenI cmaehome from vacation it was covered in bloooms. I was so excited!!!! Now all the blooms are gone, they've been gone for a while and none are coming on. The leaves look great though, healthy and green. I neglect it, it blooms. I talk to it, love it, water when dry (from the bottom) and it blooms like crazy. What am I doing wrong????????? Any ideas??

Magan

milkmommy
08-12-2005, 08:54 AM
African viloets are related to bulbs meaning they go through wet and dry seasons or cold warm spells. Its most likely that the plant is just dorment right now its just not ready to bloom right now, It will stay ever green bu not bloom probably untill after the next cold spell.

Deanna

mom2threePKs
09-16-2005, 09:34 PM
IT"S BLOOMING!!!!!! :roll :jump

I got some violet food and have fed it when i water it and this week it started pushing up blooms!!!!!
I'm not a great gardener mainly because i just don't give it a high priority. (My dad is a Master Gardener so I have resources available I just don't have time to put them into practice!) Anyway when I see a plant produce that I have been nurturing along it is just a thrill, kinda like (on a much much much smaller scale) when you take your baby in for a weight check and know that all those gained pounds are from your milk!

Thanks for the advice!

Magan