PDA

View Full Version : Fall veggie garden anyone?

JellyBeansSlingMom
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I am in Zone 8 in Texas and about to plant more in my fall garden (as soon as my seeds get here). I have discovered how pretty swiss chard is oh yeah and REALLY healthy! I got some rainbow swiss chard. It is so pretty it doesn't even look real! I sure hope I can grow it well. It says its easy to grow. Hope so! I also plan on buying some of the white colored one too and plant them all togther in the front flower bed. That way I can plant a bunch of then without taking up much room in my garden so I can plant more squash. So it can be ornamental in the bed and also edible! I found a seed supplier I LOVE www.theforneyfarm.com. Their prices are awesome and they always send freebies with your order. Its a family business and they are so sweet and always take time to answer my questions. You gotta see the rainbow swiss chard. Its so neat! The stalks are purple, yellow, white, red, green. Each a different color on same plant. My daughter can't wait to plant them. I am have also ordered winter squashes: blue hubbard, pink banana, acorn squash, & butternut. I am also going to try to plant more pattypan squash & sugar pumpkins. Maybe I'll get some more before it freezes. I also orderd some buttercrunch(yum), oak leaf and salad bowl lettuces. I am so excited!! I think I am going to try to build some cold frames so I can have lettuce and spinach all year round.

Mama Calidad
08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
We're in 9b. I can't wait for things to start cooling down to plant some stuff. Right now, everything is pretty much burned up, except for the canteloupe that we never planted. Just threw out the goop one day and a little while later...vines. :lol DH is such a green thumb...half the garden plants in our yard are volunteers. :eek :cool

I'll plant another batch of 'maters later in the year and then later the "winter" :laughtears garden. (I'm a Missouri girl by birth.)

snlmama
08-19-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm trying to plan it. I want to build a couple of raised beds, so not sure I'll have time to plant anything in addition to that. Maybe in pots on the patio. Where are you? I'm in TX too. We planted swiss chard in our front flower bed once. I had no idea what it was but saw it at the garden shop and though it was pretty w/ the red leaves. It grew great and I hated to pick it but one of my neighbors talked me into cooking it - yum!

Let us know how it goes!

JellyBeansSlingMom
08-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I am in Erath couty (stephenville)