PDA

View Full Version : Dh bought me a bread machine and grain mill now what?

Dana Joy
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Dh is so sweet- we have a wish list on our fridge, so that when business is good we remember what we wanted. He surprized me with a bread machine and grain mill from the list. I was wondering if anyone had good bread recipes combining the 2. the bread machine book recipes all call for bread flour- is there a way to replace that with whole wheat flour? Any good website recomendations?

Chris3jam
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Oooo! *claps hands and jumps up and down with glee!* Lucky you! First, buy some wheat. . . oh, you've probably already done that. And I substitute my flour 1 for 1 for what they call for in their recipes. Just, with fresh-ground wheat, you need to judge for yourself. Sometimes you need more, sometimes less, depending upon humidity. Have to kind of judge by how it feels. Does your bread machine have a "stop and look" type of feature? Is it one of those that does bread in an hour or hour and a half? I have a few books that can be used to combine the two, but I really don't think there's much out there that talks about using fresh-milled flour exclusively, especially with a bread machine. It's a different animal altogether from what you can get on store shelves. You'll see!